WTD: Double Pole Door Bell button

Anyone seen a double pole door bell button. Friend wants to change his existing front door bell button to add a zone to his alarm system, so as when the door bell is rung, he can program a sounder in his outhouse to activate.

Preferably needs to be two totally separate contacts, one be normally open and other normally closed. I've looked on RS and can see some nice buttons for the job, but no point reinventing the wheel if there is a proper button out there already.

Thanks

SantaUK

Reply to
SantaUK

Nope, shouldn't think they exist as there is no great need for them. Either use a DP button switch as you say from RS or a bog standard doorbell switch and a DP relay.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It would be easiest to make the bellpush operate a relay with as many contact pairs as you like :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Looking at that just now. Problem lies with trying to get a small enough relay hiden in the wall behind the button. Thats the closest location for a cable to the alarm panel. Just surfing trying to find a small relay just now.

Cheers

Reply to
SantaUK

Hi,

Wouldn't it be easier and more flexible to add a wireless bell to the circuit? I did this for my old mum. She has a wired underdome bell loud enough to wake the dead in the house. I put something like this in the circuit

fact the older model which has been discontinued). It connects to an existing wired bell and push to allow you to transmit a signal to a wirefree bell. She can have the wireless bell in the greenhouse, the garden shed or anywhere else she might be pottering about.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Bung the relay in the alarm panel where you'll have a handy supply and easy connection into the alarm system. You'll only need a single pair from bell push to panel and from panel to bell.

Though I guess you don't want to mess to much with existing bell wring but alarm cable has 6 cores (normally). With the relay in the panel you only need 4 wires +12 to bell push, switched +12 back to relay, and a NO pair back to the existing bell wiring.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

MMMmmm, that has serious potential. I'll check that out just now.

Regards

SantaUK

Reply to
SantaUK

If you can find a double pole push switch it won't be a doorbell one so may not look too good. Easiest way is to use a relay. Wire it across the bell at the most convenient point. Likely to be easier to wire than a double pole push too. You'll probably need a diode or two also as most easily obtained low voltage relays are DC. Maplin should have what's needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Now you have gave me a thought. I kept thinking about the existing door bell activating the relay, and not the alarm panel. Your idea may just have hit the nail on the head.

Cheers

SantaUK

Reply to
SantaUK

Cool, just tested with my own door bell and a realy, and I'll be able to get that done on Sunday :-0)

Thanks for that Dave, and thanks to the rest of you for your responses.

SantaUK

Reply to
SantaUK