R. Cott. 27

Any polite suggestions how to remove plaster debris from plywood used as temporary flooring?

Scraping and vacuuming seem to leave dust engrained in the surface. I am reluctant to scrub with water as drying the boards in an unheated building will take time and may cause warping.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Give it a coat of varnish for that retro ex-scrapyard look.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

replying to Tim Lamb, Iggy wrote: If you feel you actually need the plywood spotless, for whatever reason. Then, damp (not soaking or dripping) mopping or sponging is fine in every regard, using a kitchen scrubby or scouring pad will clean the grain very quickly and with the least amount of water (spray bottle). Otherwise, lightly sand (with sandpaper) or even scrape the spots.

Reply to
Iggy

Umm, if its temporary flooring why do you wish to remove it?

Large sander to go over the whole of it and then vaccuum?

Reply to
Mark Allread

Progress so far is a triangular paint scraper to get the lumps off. Light orbital sanding and then power vacuuming with a brush head.

I think your sponge would finish the job without too much mess. The boards are already upstairs! 7 more 8x4s to go:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not much point unless you seal it afterwards.

Reply to
GB

replying to Tim Lamb, Iggy wrote: Fantastic! Keep going with what works and you may find you want to try your hand at turning them into finished floors. Being softwoods it's not a permanent solution, but it's quite easy and attractive.

Reply to
Iggy

It was there to stop the plasterers falling through the floor joists:-)

The first floor has grooved 22mm chipboard to take heating pipes and aluminium spreader plates. These need to be covered with the recycled ply.

Yes. Plaster dust does an excellent job of blocking the pores in the vacuum bag:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Scrape off the worst and fit upside-down?

Reply to
Andy Burns

homie hubber grade advice

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote: The only real way to learn pal and just an idea worth mentioning. He might as well get something out of all that work. Applies to furniture finishing and refinishing, railings, stairs, kitchen cabinets, picture frames and may possibly be the only chance he'll get. But I understand, you want to keep people down and not empower them...hmm, just like uselessnet.

Reply to
Iggy

Whoosh.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nice thought but some of these are *one sided* boards. The factory must have a stack of knot/blemish free veneer they use to create a visible face. I may bite the bullet and get some more hardwood sheets.

There is a potential issue with underfloor heating leading to formaldehyde emission from the glues used.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think they grade each face separately, so you can get e.g AA sheets, or AC sheets, and obviously they hide the really bad veneers inside - if only you'd laid them bad side up to start with, eh?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Remove the plywood and turn it over.

Reply to