R. Cott. 12

As did I.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In message , Charles F writes

There was a modest improvement here but difficult to be sure. Possibly better locations for filters.

There will be two other wired phones. I don't want a flock of visitors trecking to the office to see if there are any messages.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It is the chicken wire holding up the Rockwool I'm concerned about:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

When we upgraded to VDSL, I originally moved the router to be close to the master socket, which was very inconvenient as a) the wifi coverage throughout the house was less strong, and b) I had to use Homeplug to get an Ethernet feed to my PC upstairs.

So I experimented...

- best sync speed was with the router in the test socket of the master socket

- sync speed reduced by a couple of Mbps when I connected the house wiring and put the router in the front plate of the master socket

- with the router upstairs on the end of a long run of BT cable to the upstairs socket and then another long run of cheap ribbon phone extension cable (under doorways and along the edge of carpet) from there to the router in the next room, I lost a further few Mbps

I think the difference between best and worse was 20 Mbps down to 14 Mbps, which I decided was tolerable if it gave me the router next to the PC and upstairs for better wifi.

Interestingly, I've just looked at my router now and it's syncing at 20 Mbps / 7 Mbps - better than it used to be - so I'm dead chuffed. Actually the biggest benefit of VDSL for me is the dramatically increased upload speed (0.5 up to 7 Mbps) when sending emails or ftping files; the increased download speed isn't normally very noticeable (because even the 8 Mbps of ADSL was fast enough) for ordinary web access, though it does come in very useful for downloading large files.

Reply to
NY

En el artículo , Tim Lamb escribió:

Usually RJ45 sockets at both ends. You concentrate all the wiring at a location where you can put a network switch. The sockets are terminated with Krone insulation displacement connectors, for which you use a BT- type punch down tool, e.g. ebay 221541032296.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

OK. An Open Reach engineer left one here during a line fault visit. Foolishly, I gave it to back to the next engineer.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There is something wrong with the connection then. It should make no difference if you have a proper face plate and the connections are correct. On mine there is a filtered side and an unfiltered side. The house wiring goes in the filtered side and the VDSL plugs in the unfiltered side. You only put the house wiring in the unfiltered side if you want the VDSL on one of the extension sockets. You want to avoid that if possible.

I find it better to extend the unfiltered port on the faceplate to the router using cat5 cable rather than using the phone wiring.

Reply to
dennis

Yes I was surprised that BT wired it that way, with all the house wiring unfiltered. When we bought the house it still had an old GPO rectangular lozenge junction box (the sort with a big screw in the centre) and the two extensions (to a BT socket downstairs and to one upstairs) were in parallel. ADSL ran over this (via the upstairs socket and a length of DIY extension cable to the router) for several years and then we started getting horrendous problems with the router losing sync periodically and failing to see the carrier for several hours before resuming at full sync speed. These failures seemed to correlate with heavy rainfalls, which suggested water in a joint somewhere. BT attended and couldn't reproduce the fault, but rewired the lozenge box as a modern BT master socket with the extensions (presumably still in parallel) via a removeable faceplate, such that for the first time we could disconnect the house wiring for testing.

I'm glad that they didn't connect the extension wiring on the filtered side, otherwise we'd have been forced to have the router close to the master socket - or find a way of routing Cat 5 to the upstairs bedroom where we wanted the router to be. And that would have meant drilling out through the house wall, running the cable up the wall and in through the brickwork again in the bedroom, or else running the cable up the living room wall (maybe in the corner of the room) and then through the ceiling of the living room and the floor of an adjacent bedroom, then along the skirting board and through the internal wall to the room where we wanted it.

Given that there was existing wiring to the landing, and my existing DIY wiring from there to the bedroom, I thought I'd try it. I can live with a slight reduction in sync speed compared with that at the master socket on the unfiltered side, given that the router can be located where I really want it.

Apparently when you upgraded to VDSL, BT Openreach *used* to include installing a "data socket" (an unfiltered extension) within x metres of the master socket, for needs such as ours, as long as the ISP requested it. Ours did, but then they changed their policy a few weeks earlier when BT Openreach started to allow customer-installed routers rather than BT modem and Ethernet input to router. So we just missed out :-( Even the BT Openreach engineer didn't know about the change and was all set to do the work until he checked with head office.

See above about the hassle of installing Cat 5 from the master socket to the bedroom where we wanted the router. :-(

Reply to
NY