Quality at Lidl and Aldi

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower than at traditional British stores?

Bob Martin

Kevin

Works for me!

Reply to
Rod

Not sure what *you*thought but I was thinking the OP was posting an article quoting people saying Aldi and Lidl's quality was low . Lack of any quotes from the article doesn't help either.

Reply to
fictitiousemail

I'm not sure that's what he meant by "type that again"

Reply to
fictitiousemail

and German sausages (which I prefer to the majority of UK sourced processed food). Oh, and cans of tomatoes, tomato puree, and fruit juices.

Most of the rest of our shopping is done elsewhere, where we find brands that we prefer, but for certain basics, the price and quality of Lidl is hard to beat.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

the link works it was the "Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower than at traditional British stores" I am not sure what he was trying to get at as Lidl and Aldi have higher quality products throughout the report as the report said "In many cases the German-owned discount chains also have higher-quality food than the bigger chains." "Sainsbury?s own brand marmalade, for example, costs 75p and has 26g fruit per 100g. At Lidl, however, the orange marmalade has 5% more fruit and costs 55p."

Reply to
Kevin

which is the way I read it, but the report says otherwise Lidl and Aldi have higher meat and fruit content and it was knocking Tesco's for selling poor products

Reply to
Kevin

" Don't mention the war, I did, but I think I got away with it ......." Basil Fawlty.

Reply to
Dave

Bob Martin gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The few times I've been in Lidl & Aldi, I've been utterly unimpressed - to the point of leaving without actually buying anything.

Pointing to the shit that Tesco ("Value") and Sainsbury's (whatever their pikey-stripy equivalent is) call food as justification for claiming Lidl & Aldi aren't crap is just pathetic.

Of course there's other stuff that's even crapper. Hell, there's almost certainly crap that's even crapper than Tesco "Value" "food"...

Doesn't make "slightly less crap than Tesco "value"" a recommendation.

Reply to
Adrian

The main Lidlphobe on here has recently passed away. His views on quality and longevity seem sadly misplaced in retrospect.

On the food front it's pretty obvious you have to pick and choose where you shop for what. My other half is very picky, yet our (sorry, her) grocery shop is at least 50% Lidls.

As an aside, a mate of mine popped into his local baker near Hampstead tube for a loaf of bread. We had just left the pub so not thinking straight. Four bloody quid!

Reply to
stuart noble

I thought the exact opposite. The article was was put forward as evidence that Aldi and Lidl were of higher quality than "traditional British stores", this was in direct contradiction of those who say Aldi and Lidl were of low quality.

Or a "yah boo sucks" to those who say Lidl and Aldi are of low quality.

Reply to
soup

Depends what you're buying. Is there any difference between value porridge and hand reared, organic, taste the difference porridge?

Processed food is a minefield. I'd rather just fry a piece of steak and be done with it. Quickest meal I can think of.

Reply to
stuart noble

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl :) 50% of the food in this household comes from Adli. As you say, you have to be very picky and not everything in the discount stores is worth buying, but nor is everything in somewhere like Tesco/Sainsbury.

As of a recent discussion on here, not everyone can afford to pay £25+ for a litre of Olive Oil, and even more for the 'floor sweepings' stuff that is adulterated with herbs and chillies. Top quality Virgin Olive oil is on sale for

Reply to
Alan

Right - OK. Understood, must think more before posting.

Reply to
Rod

in the bin because it was crap. I don't go in there anymore.

OTOH I shopped in German Aldi with no complaints

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Sorry

a mathematical quantity of fruit/meat does not directly correlate to "freshness of produce" or "taste of produce" both of which I rate far higher than whether the item contains "real" meat or scraps.

IME Aldi produce scores very low on the latter two

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Reply to
stuart noble

I don't buy fresh veg from Lidl anymore. Too much waste. Could be better in other parts of the country, though. Sainsbury fresh vegetables are better quality - although I usually buy from the local market.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Steve Firth