Quality at Lidl and Aldi

Adrian C wrote: SNIP

I have and will again.

I found it amusing to run this review (in German):

Google Translate, though I don't understand the one by the widowed baker of onion cakes.

Reply to
Martin Crossley

I said in Scotland, not Norway.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Alan wrote: [snipover-long bollocks]

You snipped this part from your reply:

"I note you don't give the URLs for these sources you are citing. If there any reason for that?"

Is there any rason for that? And while you're at it, will you tell me what qualifications you have for determining what "top quality olive oil" is?

I'll consider your questions when you stop selectively editing the posts that you are replying to.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Where I live, that happens in Waitrose :-(

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The only time I really enjoyed a lager was at the british GP a couple (3?) years ago. It was a very hot day and Fosters (which is the only thing you can buy in the place!) had guys wandering around with tanks on their backs filling your pint glasses with really cold fosters.

Normally I can't stand lager - especially fosters. Drank rather a lot of pints of the stuff that weekend though :-)

If I want cold stuff I rather like cider (and must admit to rather liking Magners :-))

Mines a pint of Late Red or Double Dragon ta :-)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

In message , geoff wrote

Too true. For every good real ale I've found there are probably 5 that I wouldn't wash my dog in. However, with a choice of around 500 UK brewers and a thousand or more different brews one in five is not too bad.

Although I'm not keen on real ales that are sweet and/or malty I don't necessarily class them as rubbish because others may like the style. My preference is for a light and very hoppy beer, a decent Porter that has been brewed properly or something with a real bitter aftertaste. What I dislike with some real ales is a distinct lack of character because the brewer has only waved a single hop above the copper or has only used a teaspoon of malted barley per gallon of beer.

As regards quality and strength, I've had beers of 3.5% that are extremely tasty and some of 6% that are completely bland. Price often isn't an indication of quality either as the price of pint in a pub isn't necessarily related to what the brewer gets.

Reply to
Alan

Which farm gates in England do you know that sell olive oil?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Wrong county. Here in Kent I'm ten miles from the oldest brewery in the country. Nice beer, and they even brew some pretty reasonable Swiss lager under licence.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, errm , yer,,, ermm, zzzzzzz.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What's the point? Your reply is always 'It's s**te'.

Perhaps you can educate us. What is the legal enforceable label description that a retailer can use to sell top quality olive oil. It obviously isn't the term "extra virgin olive oil" because much of the s**te (your definition) sold by the discount stores has this label.

Sorry that I snipped: "OH FFS, you talk such shit that your collar must be permanently brown. "

I just assumed that you had caught out with what you had previously written and had resorted to insults instead.

Reply to
Alan

In message , Bob Eager wrote

Do they still brew Kingfisher (as found in many Indian restaurants)?

Reply to
Alan

Funny that, I got quite a taste for them. Like Arran Blonde. Belhaven. And Caledonian Deuchars IPA.

Reply to
Rod

tim..... wrote: [snip]

None, which is why if someone is selling you oil for less than £10 a litre then it cannot possibly be "top quality extra virgin".

Do you want to engage your brain before typing next time?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I lived in Switzerland.

There is no such thing as "reasonable Swiss lager". It's all gnat's piss. Except for Cardinal, which is skunk piss.

You can get decent beer over the border(s) in Bavaria, Alsace and Italy. And Swiss beer is so bad that driving to another country to get a beer seems like a decent move.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, they do. But I was referring to Hurlimann...

Bob Eager

I have reccomended Arran Blonde before. I met the lads from the brewery at a food exhibition some years ago and was very impressed by their beer.

Howver the comment was "I've never had a decent beer in Scotland" and despite mabny trips to Edinburgh I've never foudn a pub selling draft Arran, Belhaven or anything other than S&N gassy keg.

I've no doubt that some decent beers may be found in Scotland, but finding them is much harder than it is in England where decent beer is available in almost every village, town and city.

Reply to
Steve Firth

How could I reply that to the factual listing of market prices, that you now seem to be very coy about providing a source for. Unless you do so, it seems that your claims were fables.

I certainly can, just as soon as you start answering some questions instead of asking more. So far there are two major questions that you have serially avoided. Where are your sources for market prices, and what are your qualifications for making judgement about "top quality olive oil"?

[snip]

You also snipped the question

"I note you don't give the URLs for these sources you are citing. If there any reason for that?"

And you continue to run away from that question.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I did.

I was wondering where I might find this farm charging in pounds?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Its inconsistent. I used to like the asda diet cola but they changed something.

Reply to
dennis

Why are you persisting with this myth that good quality oil has got to cost at least £10/litre? Following on from web prices showing Spanish pices of £1.80/Kg falling to £1.30/kg further research indicates that Australian virgin oil prices are similar at around 5.5A$ with a forward prediction of 3.5A$ (£2.35/litre falling to £1.50/litre). These prices are for wholesale in quantities of tonnes but Aldi are unlikely to buy a bottle at a time!

If you are getting £6.50+ per litre for your oil then well done but you should not use the figures you are getting as an indication of world prices that major buyers can get, and pass on to customers. Perhaps you should consider that Aldi may be telling the truth on the label of their bottled olive oil.

Reply to
Alan