Quality at Lidl and Aldi

Although not usually a larger drinker, I have found the German import "Dab" rather nice when you want something to cool down with... (certainly beats fosters!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Like a lot of beers taken over by Greene King. Are Greene King the current Watney's? I doubt it. Nothing but cheap and nasty lager could be worse, if that! I've never had Tamplin's, but could believe it was good before Watney's ruined it.

Reply to
<me9

Consumers are ignorant, what else is news?

If you want to stick your head in the sand, please do so. The "chemical bullshit" which seems to your way of saying "this went over my head and made me feel uncomfortable" says that whereas in the past Aldi, Lidl etc had a way of defrauding chemical assays the chemists have worked out a new test that proves that the oil was deliberately adulterated to fake a particular test result.

No one is asking them to. Someone who doesn't have a cloth palate can tell the taste difference between supermarket grease and real olive oil. It's not difficult the taste difference is obvious.

The truth is that some numpties like to think that they can get something for nothing or at least below the cost of production. These same numpties then deny that there is any such taste difference.

They do this for all types of food, and argue that since they are happy to eat crap, everyone else should eat crap. If you want to add your name to the list of numpties I won't stop you.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That was exactly it. Thank you, soup!

Reply to
Bob Martin

Reply to
Bob Martin

When I lived south of the Thames, we were in an enclave of Marstoms pubs

- I think they had bought the old Winchester brewery. Plus Whitbread Trophy (which was actually the old Strong of Romsey bitter - not the 'national' disgusting version). Also, though I was never very partial to them, there were the Courage offerings - Directors and Best. And, on occasional forays over the Solent, Burts (Ventnor?) could be had.

(Yes - I knew Gales had gone. So too has the old Burts brewery.)

Reply to
Rod

And not saying a word? :-)

They all *look* hard :-) - but in my time in Scotland (totalling a year or two spread over many years), I have never seen a fight in a pub. Indeed, the odd time I saw someone being chucked out it was done with remarkable tact and humanity.

Reply to
Rod

Ooops - meant Marstons.

And I forgot, No Name bitter.

(Haven't been there for a long time - but used to enjoy.)

Reply to
Rod

The ny times claims that the Spanish drought has put up the price of "pure" oil. They say the Americans are now having to pay ~£7/l for extra virgin oil. Although like everything there are "specials" you can pay £20/l for. I expect its like champagne, money for image rather than taste. And I certainly am not going to pay more than £7/l for extra virgin olive oil and that's from Sainsbury or Asda. I only use it when I bake bread anyway or fry mushrooms anyway.

Reply to
dennis

I buy at Aldi and Lidl all the time. The quality of ~most~ items is very high and the prices much cheaper. To have a really good laugh, do the shopping at Aldi or Lidl, then pop into M&S food halls on the way home and compare their prices! They are mostly off-the-wall ludicrous.

MM

Reply to
MM

I hope not.

Reply to
dennis

So get a browser that works or an OS that isn't broken.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Its just a lab report that claims extra virgin oil has been treated so isn't extra virgin oil. However as extra virgin olive oil just means its from the first pressing it isn't really true. Olive oil can be treated and still be extra virgin. Its one of those marketing terms that consumers don't understand.

Reply to
dennis

I have just been in Asda, extra virgin olive oil is £11 for three litres.

Reply to
dennis

%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Apart from the subtle detail that FF3/Ub8.04 is a perfectly sound combination, I can only say - works fine for me (FF3/8.10)...

Reply to
Adrian

I Use Firefox and Ubuntu, works fine for me. But if that URL isn't working for someone else it's their problem, not mine. I've no idea why they think I could (a) fix their problem or (b) give a shit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I used to work in a Scottish pub (city centre Edinburgh). A fight broke out between one lot of football supporters and another, not really groups it was a two on three thing, it ended up with one chap lying on the floor and somebody else hitting him with a bar stool . For a macho scotsman I acted very "girly" and shouted "don't **** you'll kill him" to which there was the reply "it's ok ahm no aimin' for his heid". One other time I got threatened with getting sh***ed by another bloke but that is another story (I had shouted "oi stall" at him when he blew his nose on a bar towel). Mind you that was the only pub I worked in where there was REGULAR violence the others it was a rare occurrence.

Used to drink in a pub called "the Dundee arms", (Fountainbridge Edinburgh) which was nicknamed the Vietnam it had a terrible reputation, but I never once in four years of drinking there saw a fight or anyone really working their ticket.

Ah halcyon days.

Reply to
soup

I would jolly well hope it has been treated. I don't want bits of Italian peasants' dandruff floating around my salad dressing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

say's Popeye

Reply to
gazz

I keep wondering why the Spanish and Greeks continue to grow olives

Reply to
stuart noble