Posidrive or slotted screws for woodwork?

I thought the original Phillips head was specifically designed to slip under pressure (on the assembly line) but not Pozidriv.

Reply to
pamela

Indeed, A PZ2 will operate a PZ1 or PZ3 if you're not too violent or the screw isn't jammed in hard.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Trouble is you have to look closely to spot they're Philips. Pick up a straight one and you'll go EUGH! without remembering to check.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Torx screws, why bother with pozi?

Reply to
dennis

Why? Antique furniture isn't likely to use screws.

Reply to
dennis

Because the driver automatically falls into the hole as you start to turn.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

No they aren't. Pozis have the drive face parallel to the screw axis, philips are angled.

Therefor philips cam out easily.

A feature used by drywall screws.

Reply to
dennis

Are you sure you are using Phillips screw heads with a Phillips driver because it's designed to cam out cleanly without damage.

I suspect using a clutch on every powered screw driver on a 1930s production line was too expensive - even for making Cadillacs.

pamela

Decent antiques don't have screws. They weren't around much 200 years ago.

Reproductions have screws.

Reply to
dennis

Only if you line it up so its already in the screw, otherwise its just as likely to wander of the crew and being pointed mark the job.

Torx bits also drop in automatically and being blunt are less likely to mark the job.

Reply to
dennis

newshound scribbled

A recent version of the MotoGP works Ducati motorcycle was *designed* with every bolt size imaginable. It caused all kinds of problems as the mechanics had to have all sizes of spanners to hand when they worked on the bike and it's very difficult to spot the difference between similar sizes. Making changes during setup of the bikes during practice took twice as long as necessary. There was no "correct engineering solution" shown by the designers whatever.

Reply to
Jonno

A drawback. Do you know what .1 means?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

But in 2015 we shouldn't be using Philips screws.

Anyway, how difficult is it to change the power of the motor? For example when I use my cordless drill to put in screws, I lower the power to the motor by pressing less hard on the trigger. When it gets all the way in, the motor stalls.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

There is that - as well as T20 torx bits cost £1.20 each, unlike PZ2

Reply to
Tim Watts

Along with the half arsed plugs they came with - then I choose from my selection of "best for whatever wall" fixings :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bollocks. I have some stuff my grandad bought in about 1940 and it has screws.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 19:47:52 -0000, Tim Watts wro= te:

25.5p actually, similar to PZ2.

-- =

A woman sends her clothing out to the Chinese laundry. When it comes bac= k there are still stains in her panties. The next week she encloses a no= te to the Chinaman that says, "Use more soap on panties." This goes on for several weeks, the woman sending the same note to the l= aundry. Finally fed up the Chinaman responded with his own note that said, "Use = more paper on ass."

Reply to
Mr Macaw

My bog roll holder stayed up for 3 weeks on the supplied wall plugs. The replacement ones (which were just bog standard bulk plugs from Ebay) have lasted 3 months so far.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Mine did too, and I still do align them like that

Reply to
DJC

google 'rigger jigger' 10mm and 13mm standard in the rowing world.

Reply to
DJC