Posidrive or slotted screws for woodwork?

More the difference a craftsman would make. But you'd not know anything about that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Didn't spot that, as it vanishes when I start replying.

Why has Australia not adopted Pozidrives?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Yes but they're a load of old fuddy duddies!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

A screw is hardly a large part of a piece of furniture. Hiding a screw I will admit makes it look better, but seeing a straight screw is just as irritating as seeing a pozidrive one.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The entire frame of a painting is 100 times bigger than a screw.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I wonder which can take more torque? There must be a comparison chart somewhere. Or some simple law of Physics.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

In message , Mr Macaw writes

When a screw is visible on a piece of furniture, the furniture probably came from MFI :-)

Reply to
News

No no no, they have those stylish plastic screw caps!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Ah yeah right I see you've missed the point.

if you have a picture you've been sold to you as the mona lisa and an original and it's in a plastic frame with hiddeen screws or even a woodent frame with hidden or obvious screws it is a fake.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's your fault then for not using the little plastic plugs for covering such things up.

Didn't MFI go out of buisness about 6 years ago ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

So? The point is if it looks nice. A plastic frame looks like cheap shit. A screw won't change anything.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Isn't MFI a branch of B&Q? There was never actually a shop called "MFI".

Reply to
Mr Macaw

One example of Pozi ruining the appearance of a job: a half-scale, road-legal, steam lorry. Lovely job, not fully authentic in detail but at least the modern(er) fittings were nice brass - held on with silver Pozis! Even passivated ones wouldn't have been so glaring, but cross-head just looked so wrong. The builder of it said it was difficult to get slotted brass screws...!

Reply to
PeterC

There was at least one, which I visited in the 1960s, just off the Kingston Bypass at Shannon Corner.

Reply to
charles

MFI was never a branch of B&Q, it had lots of stores.

111 which it closed down in 2008 according to this

It probably had more than that at it's height.

Reply to
Chris French

Depends who you're scewing or whether your being screwed.

if you buy a 'geniune chippendale table' on ebay and it has phillips or pozidrive screws (even if they have been hidden with little plasic bits)

you are being screwed. if you're selling the cross that Jesus was on and you've but it together with pozidrive screws then you're attepting to screw someone not nail them ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I brought my kitchen from MFI in 2005/6 they did exist and tehy weren't B&Q .

Reply to
whisky-dave

There was a Punch cartoon on this there some years ago. Antique shop owner looks into workshop and says : "Mr Jenkins, I'm having a sudden twinge of conscience. Would you mind changing your name to Chippendale?"

Reply to
charles

Surely they can make pozidrive brass screws? Slotted brass screws have never struck me as feeling softer than slotted steel.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Screwed by a Chippendale? Kinky!

Reply to