Slotted Dovetails

This is the first time I've done slotted dovetails and I'm pretty pleased with the result:

Jeff

outer edge of that joint. I'd be worried about it cracking at the thin spot if someone yanked on a heavily loaded drawer. (Of course that may just be me over-building everything as usual...)

Usually that type of joint is used where there is a bit more wood on the outer edge--overlay fronts, for example.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Niiiiice!

Reply to
Frank Arthur

The design was inspired by the Rogowski book. His example is right along the edge. The slot seemed fragile until I filled it with glue and a red oak dove tail. I'm not concerned for durability. But don't drop the drawer faces before you piece the drawer together...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Very nice Jeff but like Chris has indicated the joint is vulnerable to that unexpected time when the drawer may be out and gets dropped or something. You never know. Other than that, the joint looks good and is stronger than a standard rabbet. You might consider drilling a hole in the sides into the drawer front and sliding dowel pins in for a detailed look and to add strength to that joint if you have any worries down the road.

Reply to
Leon

BTY, Got any pictures of the whole project?

Reply to
Leon

No. My wife had a digital camera from work and I took a quick snap of the drawer. It's a black walnut / red oak sink cabinet with a marble top. I built a matching black walnut medicine cabinet. I'm waiting for mirrors to finish it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I've always heard that joint called a "sliding dovetail". If you'd gone with a "stopped sliding dovetail" it wouldn't show at all from the top - obviously not what you intended.

Handy joint for other applications - shelves, dust panels and the like - and not that hard to do with a router, router table and a decent fence. Not so easy to do with a flush mount drawer. Nice work - though it wouldn't be my joinery choice in this case - half blind dovetails are stronger and have a higher Just Showing Off factor.

More pictures of the piece - and maybe some How and perhaps even some Why?

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb