Pros/Cons of brad-point and twist drill bits

I have sorted through my drill bits and wondered about the differences between brad and twist drill bits. I mostly drill holes in wood, much less so in metal or plastics. Are both HSS? Are all bits typically Made in China?

Reply to
Phisherman

Different purposes. Brad-point drills are great for minimizing tearout in face grain. They're also easier to locate precisely due to the center spur.

They can both be HSS, high carbon steel, carbide-tipped, or whatever other material you want. They can be made wherever.

Lee Valley has very nice Made in USA twist drills in HSS. Their HSS brad-points start out as these twist drills, then LV grinds a spur and lips on them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

differences

Brad point = wood.

Twist = Other than wood; however, bits for plastic are plastic specific.

The cheap crap is most likely from China.

If you want Fuller, both brad and twist, Jamestown Distributors has them.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett