Types of drill bits?

Had one of those impulse buys today and came home with a 300 piece drill & driver set from Makros (£24.99 + vat). Just been looking at my purchase which includes hole cutters, wood drills, masonry drills and 2 types of HSS twist drills. One set is black and the other set is gold. Am I right in thinking the black ones are for metals (steel & aluminium etc) and the gold ones are for plastics & laminates etc?

Nodge

Reply to
Nodge

So what types of drill bits are there?

Knackered, fine for something else but not this, blunt, buggered, youre joking, losted, broken but I've got to make this hole so I'll try and hold it, hex shaft ones that arent attached to the hex bit with anything more than paper glue, and finally bits that are so badly ground the cutting slope is actually in the *wrong direction*.

Oh, and home made what ever was I thinking but we'll get there. I hope.

Oh... and my favourite... homemade and omg did that turn out to be a neat trick!

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Only =A324.99 + vat - right bit of 'quality' kit there mate.

Have they got many left ? Might nip round and get a couple meself.

Reply to
keng

Gold bits means IIRC titanium nitride coated, which is a thin very hard ceramic coating on the steel. Ideal for cutting metal, wood, plastic, basically anything but masonry.

I say ideal... not really, there are better shaped wood bits that will also be in there hopefully.

General purpose twist drills are in no way ideal for laminates, but theyre usable if you clamp a sheet of hardboard onto the laminate and drill through both together. The clamping must be right close up to the hole to work.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

If it's like the B&D set I bought from B&Q for a tenner last year when I needed some bits and was away from home, then the force required to lever each bit out of the plastic moulding leaves the bit banana shaped ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The 'gold' ones are titanium plated, so suitable for anything an HHS one is. Dunno why they've given you 'HSS' ones too - sure they're not for wood only? Ie, are they actually marked as HSS?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the set I've got:

50 HSS Titanium-nitride coated drill bits 66 HSS twist drill bits 21 Carbide-tip masonry drill bits 33 Wood boring bits 9 Wood spade bits 5 Hole Saws

and over 100 different drivers, punches etc.

The 50 "Gold" HSS Titanium-nitride coated drill bits look the same as the ordinary "Black" HSS drill bits and I just wondered if there is a different use intended. Otherwise why include both? The set is branded JCB. I founded it listed elsewhere at £50. You can see it here:

Nodge

to be able to charge more for the set of course.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

might help you.

To impress the uninitiated?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yeah, I got one like that from Wickes; so it's not just me then! Standard practice is now to remove the largest spade bit from the moulding - which is just possible with naked fingers - and then use the blunt end as a lever to carefully prise out any other required bit from the case. Bizarre!

David

Reply to
Lobster