Indesit W113 just 2 years old

On spin it sounds like the gearbox on a B&D hammer drill, a hammering noise, quiet at the moment, but getting louder.

Any ideas and is this normal for a machine this age, used 2x a week?

ie Do I have to sue Indesit to get them to fix it as being unreasonable?

Cheers

Reply to
EricP

I'm not sure these days .. now we have 'bean counters' running the world and everything being cut back to the bare minimum (some) things just aren't built or seem to last like they used to (or to even last a time considered 'reasonable'?) A mate commented that the motor in his new Hotpoint was about 1/3 the size of the one in the model it replaced and he has to change the brushes once a year?

The assumption that everyone wants the cheapest goods is also flawed as we all know 'you get's what you pays for'. I know sometimes with things like power tools being used on site you are more likely to get them knicked than worn out so cheaper 'disposable' tools can be worth while (depending etc) but a washing machine isn't something easily carried in and out ;-)

I would first ask at the shop you bought it from and then ask Indesit what they think. I would have thought any make should last more than two years at that duty cycle but I have only bought two washing machines in the 26 years I have lived here and they have both been AEG's.

If the bearings are going on your machine than they can generally be replaced quite cheaply using std bearings from a trade supplier (or your machine parts place as I think they often 'bulk buy' bearings and get good prices). Sometimes you may also need a seal that is only available in the form of an expensive 'kit'.

When I did the above on the AEG a couple of years ago the AEG solution was over 100 pounds for the parts and it cost me about 30 to find / fit the parts myself.

Have you actually had a quick look inside the machine yet Eric .. it could be something 'simple' ..? Can you rock the inner drum up and down much from the front (bearing slack)?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, the case comes off this afternoon to do a listen test to locate the exact area of noise.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Reply to
EricP

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:01:32 GMT, EricP strung together this:

You bought it from us? (Although tho be fair, we call them Indeshite) .

No worries!

Reply to
Lurch

My wife makes your motors! (But not for long, it's going "abroad" and closing down)

I have ordered a bearings kit for £20, and will get another two if it works ok. That will keep us going for 4 to 5 years with replacement every 1.8 years or so. A bit sad but at least I know the machines weak areas and can fix it. Our 12 year old Hover was the main motor and door locking mechanism, I rebuilt them so much, they were old friends.

Reply to
EricP

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:01:50 GMT, EricP strung together this:

Oh, you mean Indesit staff. Definitely not me then. I would have nothing to do with them, never have and never will.

Hmm, assuming it is just the bearings that go. Chances are you'd be better off patching it together now and then getting something more reliable next time it goes wrong that will cost a bit more but will give you many more years of trouble free running.

Personally, I'd just scrap it now, (although I wouldn't have bought it in the first place).

Before I got the Bosch I ahd a 12 year old Hoover Logic 1200, apart from a door seal, pressure pipe and pump it went on with no trouble....... apart from the chassis where the suspension had torn away from it, but that was after 10 years of thrashing it, and I just happened to have a spare identical machine so swapped the insides over..

Reply to
Lurch

This may be the route we will take. I think Bosch will get a customer when this abortion finally departs.

Very grateful for the input :)

Reply to
EricP

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 16:03:20 GMT, EricP strung together this:

Well done, exactly what I would recommend. :-)

Reply to
Lurch

Get a proper bosch if you do not one of the made in spain ones

Peter

Reply to
Peter