TiN drill bits

Hi,
There's a set on promotion at CPC: http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00240/19-piece-titanium-alloy-steel-drill/dp/TL1044908?Ntt=tl1044908
though Toolstation seems to sell an identical set: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/HSS+Titanium+Drill+Bits/HSS+Titanium+Metric+Drill+Bit+Set+19+Piece/d80/sd2784/p68138
Has anyone bought either?
Any good?

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00240/19-piece-titanium-alloy-steel-drill/dp/TL1044908?Ntt=tl1044908
I think I have these, but not used them yet - bought them and dropped them off at a friends place where I'm helping him with some DIY. Note that they are for drilling wood and plastic, not metal.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:54:41 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Can't understand that. I regularly use Titaniium Nitride coated drills on metals without a problem (mild steel, alloy steel, aluminium alloys, brass, cast iron) Some are also split points, the majority of my normal HSS drills once they need regrinding are also split points
They are usually Dormer or Guhring though and not some unknown Chinese pound shop special.

Duratool are hardly "unknown"
--
geoff

Despite being a Farnell brand, IMHO they carry the same aura as Ratners the jewellers
On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:27:44 +0100, The Other Mike

Yes, I don't know why, but I think that too. Perhaps it's just a poor choice of name; it sounds cheap and nasty regardless of how good the items are. That's why I was asking about them here before buying.

It would be interesting to do a comparison between Dormer etc and the Lidl sets. The Lidl set goes from 0.5 - 10mm in 0.5mm steps, and comes in a decent steel box. For about 6 quid. I've found them very satisfactory for jobbing work. How much would a Dormer set cost? The odd ones I've bought from the local tool shop are terrifyingly expensive. I really can't see them being worth the extra.
--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

ifty quiOn Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:24:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

There are no direct Dormer equivalents in metal boxes of that range, 0.1 steps to 6mm @ 80 quid or 0.5 steps to 13 @ 100 quid
Plastic cased 0.1 steps to 10mm are about fifty quid
As to if they are worth it. For the vast majority, no.

Ah - didn't read that bit. Wood drills are generally cheaper than HSS types - which makes them even poorer value, compared to the Lidl ones which are for steel, as well as wood and plastics.
--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

On 20/09/2012 10:54, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I'd have thought that TiN was a waste of time on wood and plastic bits. Presumably it is *real* TiN and not the yellow fake coating which is sometimes found on cheapies?
Real TiN makes a big difference on proper HSS bits, screwdriver bits, etc. It is also near universal on carbide inserts used on machining centres.
On Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:50:23 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

Why do you say fake coatings? If they were fake they'd soon wear off.
NT
On 20/09/2012 19:59, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

They do. They are put on to fool people into thinking they are high quality bits.
On Friday, September 21, 2012 8:27:09 AM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

All I can say is I often go for cheap brands with drill bits, and have never had a titanium coating wear off.
Cheap titanium screwdriver bits I did try once, and had poor results with, so I don't buy those. The problem wasn't the coating, but the underlying metal giving way.
NT
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:54:41 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Thanks. That's interesting. Is it that all TiN bits that are unsuitable for metal or just this set from CPC?
I usually use the Bosch multimaterial bits but read on the wiki how useful TiN coated bits were and I couldn't resist a bargain ;)
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Drill_bit#Titanium_or_TiN_Bits
says that TiN coated bits are good for aluminium, though it doesn't mention other metals.

The ones Lidl sell are suitable for steel too - that's what I mostly use them on. It could be just the way the tip is ground that makes them for wood etc only.
--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:40:50 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Titanium coating gives better performance in all materials. Whether a bit's sutiable for metal depends on how its ground. Most titanium bits are regular twist drills optimised for drilling steel - which also makes them poor performers on wood, but its still the most popular bit shape for wood drilling.
NT
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:07:23 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

I'm not familiar with all the different types of bit geometry but I guess the "split point" bit is the key phrase here. Is that a style optimized for wood? Perhaps the toolstatioon set is not split point, which would explain the difference?
On Monday, September 24, 2012 8:48:11 PM UTC+1, Fred wrote:

General purpose twist drills have cutting edge angles optimised for steel. These angles are terrible performers with wood. I regrind dead bits to make much more aggressively angled twist drills for wood use, and the difference is like night & day. http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Drill_bit
NT

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00240/19-piece-titanium-alloy-steel-drill/dp/TL1044908?Ntt=tl1044908 > though Toolstation seems to sell an identical set:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/HSS+Titanium+Drill+Bits/HSS+Titanium+Metric+Drill+Bit+Set+19+Piece/d80/sd2784/p68138> Has anyone bought either?> Any good?
They actually only have a coating. What good that does apart from looking pretty, I dunno.
Look out for the same thing in Lidl. Cheaper than either. And very decent quality. Perhaps slightly brittle in the small sizes - but they are cheap enough in bulk anyway.
--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:04:03 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

the thin titanium coating is many times harder than hss, and lower friction.
NT