TiN drill bits

All I can say is I often go for cheap brands with drill bits, and have never had a titanium coating wear off.

Cheap titanium screwdriver bits I did try once, and had poor results with, so I don't buy those. The problem wasn't the coating, but the underlying metal giving way.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, I don't know why, but I think that too. Perhaps it's just a poor choice of name; it sounds cheap and nasty regardless of how good the items are. That's why I was asking about them here before buying.

Reply to
Fred

I'm not familiar with all the different types of bit geometry but I guess the "split point" bit is the key phrase here. Is that a style optimized for wood? Perhaps the toolstatioon set is not split point, which would explain the difference?

Reply to
Fred

General purpose twist drills have cutting edge angles optimised for steel. These angles are terrible performers with wood. I regrind dead bits to make much more aggressively angled twist drills for wood use, and the difference is like night & day.

meow2222