Posidrive or slotted screws for woodwork?

Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned slotted screws?

Reply to
Bod

Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The rest of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use especially where they won't be seen.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Certainly not me. I suppose I might consider slotted brass anywhere particularly visible on antique furniture.

Reply to
newshound

Indeed.

Reply to
Bod

I would standardize all screws as PZ2s.

Reply to
ARW

Can you not get Pozidrive brass?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Agreed.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Might be a bit harsh for mobile phone manufacturers :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Personally, I prefer torx :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Old stock"? Bloody dozens of places selling straight screws. I've bought some by accident before. I took the time to make sure I got the right strength, the right diameter, the right length, etc, etc, then didn't realise they still sold those bloody straight things!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Why would you consider a pozidrive uglier if it can be seen? Six of one half a dozen of the other, it's still a visible screwhead.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I was thinking that, but pozidrive has the advantage that the screwdriver bit falls into place itself as you start turning.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You can, and I might use them for somewhere visible on modern hardwood (eg keyhole escutcheon), but they don't look right on anything antique (IMHO).

Reply to
newshound

I wouldn't, PZ3 is a good intermediary before you get to coach screws. And PZ1 has its place on smaller stuff.

Reply to
newshound

No, brass isn't hard enough.

Reply to
harry

Only for visual effect..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sheridized screws look as good as brass though..

Reply to
Bod

I would say that is subjective though.

Reply to
Bod

True - the only problem is it tends to fall out again!

It's not really that much of a problem unless a) it's a very hard substrate; b) you need them in and out a lot. But as a "vs" thing, I don't know quite how we got stuck with posi OR phillips, given that both are inferior (in our world) to robertson, hex and torx. Of the last 3 I suspect torx may be the most robust, but I have no links to prove it :)

Reply to
Tim Watts