Overbath shower Mixer tap problem

we have a centrally mounted mixer tap with a shower attachment on our bath. The side of the bath which has the tap fitting is against an outside wall. The shower/tap mechanism is a sleeve beneath the shower hose, pull up for shower, push down for tap water. However, this mechanism has stopped working, and now water will come out of the shower, but not out of the tap unless the water flow is reduced to a trickle. The only thing we have recently done is to change the shower hose, re-drill the riser bar mounting holes and dre-do the grouting. Could something gritty falling into the shower hose hole cause this problem? How can we fix it please?? Thanks :) Mara

Reply to
:)

Sorry if you recieve this message twice, I can't see it on my newsgroup viewer...

Reply to
:)

This may be the problem. I replaced an en-suite for a neighbour last year. They provided all the components. They did not want to change the shower valve as it "is a good shower". They did change the hose and head though. After the refurb the man said the shower wasn't as good as before and had I left an isolation valve part closed etc. As I never isolated the shower valve I new this wasn't the case. I took my shower hose and head over to their house as my shower is the same and I still had the original bits and Hey Presto shower back to normal. I don't know why though but probably down to flow rates, back pressure, etc. They have since bought a new hose and head from the original shower manufacturer. Do you still have the old hose and head or could you borrow one from a neighbour to try?

HTH

John

Reply to
John

The usual problem with this type of unit is scale/dirt in the diverter valve. Also reduced/increased back pressure form either the hose/head or the spout outlet can make them want to only operate one way, or jump uncontrollably from/to the shower or bath setting when /it/ wants to.

The parts do come apart for cleaning /replacing O rings etc. Also the flow straightener unscrews from the spout and it may have debris behind it.

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett