Tap/ Shower Mixer - Stuck on shower

Hi

I have a tap/shower mixer on our bath. Recently we turned off the water to the house at the stop c*ck to solve an leak elsewhere in the house. Since turning the water back on, (although it may just be coincidence!), the mixer is stuck on shower mode.

The mixer is controlled by a 'collar' to which the shower hose attaches, a 'ring' attached around this collar is usually depressed to switch between shower and tap mode. Depressing the collar has no effect and water will only now flow from the shower. I can't see an obvious way to detach the collar to get to the workings of the tap.

Another thought is that if a tap was turned on when the water was off then the lack of pressure may have caused the tap to default to shower mode for some reason and can't not get back to tap mode.

Anyone any thoughts on how to resolve without replacing/ removing the tap?

Cheers

Reply to
SteveC

WD40 2 short squirts

then lightly tap with a wood mallet on opposite sides

if that doesn't work

try slightly harder taps

if that doesn't work

try a hammer

if that doesn't work

try a lump mallet

if that doesn't work

try a sledge hammer

Reply to
OG

Thank you.

Where should the WD40 be applied to? Inside the collar/ at the side etc?? What does the tap with the wooden mallet do?

Reply to
SteveC

Hi SteveC I was being slightly facetious (esp later in my response), but I was looking to free any metal-metal binding that might be preventing the mechanism working. I would probably spray inside the collar and tap (only lightly though) the collar with the mallet to free up if it was binding.

However, I suspect that Brian's response is just as likely to be fruitful.

Reply to
OG