Mixer tap problem

I've got a mixer tap on a bath but i've trouble getting hot water from it. The only way to get the hot is to turn the mixer to the hot extreme. Once the hot is on you can turn it about 1/2cm and it then becomes moderately warm. Any further and its just cold.

I'm think that the problem would be the hot water coming from a tank in the loft, about 10 feet above the bath, while the cold comes from the mains. I think that when the cold is on it overwhelms the hot and prevents it from flowing. Does this sound the most likely cause or could it be the tap itself?

Would sorting this just be a case of reducing the pressure on the cold tap? And if so what would be the best way to do this?

thanks, Fod

Reply to
friendsofderek

possible

The cheapest way is to restrict the flow, to avoid the expense if fitting a pressure reducer - this will result in reduced presssure when there is flow. You can do this with an isolating valve. It won't be perfect, like a pressure reducer, but it will probably do. If there is no isolator, try turning the stopcock until it's only just open and the kitchen tap (say) slows to the same rate as the hot tap, or slower, and see how the mixer tap works. If it's better, fit an isolator/valve and restrict the flow locally.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Disconnect the cold tap from the mains and reconnect it to the cold tank in the roof that the hot uses.

Reply to
EricP

But don't brush your teeth with it once you've done that :-(

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Would this do the trick?

John

Do you often brush your teeth in the bath?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q