ot Windows 7 strange behaiviour

Hi My w7 has decided that in windows explorer it will not open a folder in the right window. It has done this all by itself and only for this week. Has this happened to any one else . Any idea how to cure it. It says no program associated with this file. But it is a folder not a file. If you right click and choose open all is OK.

really annoying but not the end of the world.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Burn Mint 7 to CD, boot up from the CD, and your troubles will be soon be over.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

That's the trouble with giving users instant control over configuration at the click of a button or key.. its so easy to change it accidentally with no idea how to get it back..even the standard Linux desktop falls prey to this stupidity.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Talking of Mint just how do you install it?. I get as far as "choose language" then it stops there and won't go any further.

Downloaded it Twice, burnt Two separate DVD's and still no further forward..

Disc sez its checked itself and all is supposedly OK..

Reply to
tony sayer

Isn't there a Windows Restore thing you can turn back a week?

Reply to
stuart noble

Does the folder name have an extension?

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Any given version of Mint doesnt seem to like 100% of hardware, just try another version. I like 7 because its less resource hungry than 8 onward. One thing about linux is that troubleshooting problem installs just isnt necessary any more, there are so many distros and versions to choose from now.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In message , Gary writes

Not happening here. does your machine apply windows updated automatically, or have you updated it recently? wondering if that might be the root of the problem. i still have some recent updates that have yet to be applied.

Does a system restore pre updates solve the problem?

Reply to
chris French

If it's enabled, it rolls back anywhere from a few minutes to a clean install, depending on settings. Auto backup of situation before installing untrusted software or drivers, and you can, in theory, roll back as far as you've got restore points for. Automatic generation of a restore point at predefinable intervals.

The downside is it eats as much of your HD as you let it, and it doen't back up all system settings.

Reply to
John Williamson

Probably worth a quick check of the settings shown in this thread, just in case:-

airsmoothed

Dunno. Try a Debian. seems to work for me every time, especially if yo simply accept most of the defaults on disk partitioning.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

from here

leads to ...

which fixed it for someone.

Reply to
Adrian C

Does that when it encounters a hardware issue that it cant resolve. Try Ubuntu 10.4 LTS if that does install ok, first thing to do is install restricted-extras that will give you Flash and most of the other non-free (i.e open-source) essentials in one go.

-
Reply to
Mark

Thanks for that I'll try the Ver 7 then. This on an old "ish" machine...

Reply to
tony sayer

Trying to be helpful and not obstructive. Might uk.comp.homebuilt be a good ng to post (or crosspost) this msg. Loads of very knowledgeable folk there as well as here. No offense meant or intended.

Good luck, Nick.

Reply to
Nick