Win 11 will sink into the horizon

ms " no more new versions" was bs as always. Im maxing out xp and s-canning all dealings with billy gates outfit. Plenty of old software that actually runs better for basic business computing tasks.

Case closed for me on perpetual planned obsolescence! I dont need virtual money pits.

Luddites of the world unite!

Lol

WGUV

Still running 7 here. If we would just refuse to use the sites that force us into 11 it will die on the vine. I will be looking at a linux solution if 7 stops working for me.

Reply to
gfretwell

I converted to Macs about 20+ years ago. I was running my one man consulting business at the time and have never regretted that decision.

Not that Apple Inc. is more wholesome than the other guys...but the OS is in fact much easier to navigate and use, it's less of a malware target- though less so these days, updates are free and install easily, and that illuminated Apple logo on laptop covers is oh so cool ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

In my consulting days I was stuck with Windows as that is what most clients had. I even had to buy MS office as documents created in Libre Office or Open Office would not render properly with MS word users. PITA.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I know you prefer to live in the past, but you can still upgrade to Win10 for free, as long as your hardware supports it, which it probably does.

Reply to
trader_4

IOS upgrades are not free, they are bundled into the inflated cost. It is also a captive platform. If Apple doesn't think you need it, you don't get it. This is the same vertical integration that got IBM sued by DOJ and a couple minor players in 1969. The only reason Apple hasn't been is they never had a dominating position in the market. I think Microsoft should have been sued for anti trust violations and Europe has taken a few swings at them but the DOJ anti trust division just ain't what they used to be. Similar to what Cordell Hull said of dictators in the 40s. "It may be a monopoly but it's our monopoly" seems to be their stance.

Reply to
gfretwell

Microsoft has a lock on business applications. IBM had that opportunity but the management was still living in the 60s and thought they could just ram PS/2 and OS/2 down the customer's throats. In a business setting both were superior products but the customers wanted what they were running at home.

Reply to
gfretwell

In the first days of the IBM type computers for home use around 1990 there were 2 operating systems . One by Digital Research and Microsoft. Gates pulled the best deal when he said we will sell ours for $ 50 while DR was selling for $ 150. People being what they are took the less expensive route even though it might not have been the best.

MS and the IBM type computers had a mostly open platform where Apple tried to keep everything in house and everythig was sold by them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Then I am left with the question "why"? If there is no increased productivity, I don't see the need. I don't buy all new tools just because the stylish handle color is blue now. Also 10 would be slower on my hardware and 11 won't run at all. Andy Grove (Intel) and Gates had an agreement. As fast as Grove could upgrade the hardware, Gates would create the bloatware to use it all up. The only difference now is Grove and Gates are gone. The policy is still in place.

Reply to
gfretwell

1981 but go on

That was actually the clone business that was open but IBM did that to themselves. The 5150 (original PC) shipped with IBM PC DOS bundled in the package, along with BASIC (burned in the BIOS), VISICALC, EASY WRITER and a few games. but they also gave you the detailed schematics of the system board and all the cards. It all used off the shelf industry standard chips. It was real easy for other companies to clone them. They did make the proprietary PS/2 but PC users liked the open architecture even if it did have all of those hardware conflicts and configuration woes. PS/2s had rigid standards and any thing you could plug in would work with no conflict issues. IBMs biggest mistake was not buying DOS outright from Gates. It was the springboard that allowed him to sell Windows, also developed in unison with IBM but IBM decided to let him have Windows and they went with a superior OS/2. It was 32 bit when Windows was still limping along with a 16 bit system. OS/2 was also a true multitasking OS long before Windows learned that trick. IBM had a demo where they showed the two side by side and you could see windows was really running one job at a time while OS/2 was truly multitasking.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm no Apple fan-boy and have my gripes about them too. One of my biggest is "Apple Tax."

For example, you get nailed $200 on some Mac models to increase their essentially useless 256 GB of SSD storage to a marginal 512 GB. Of course, you can't just buy your own 1TB SSD from Micro Center or NewEgg for $100+ and stick it in there because the case is welded and hermetically sealed shut against user entry. Similar stick-it-to-the-customer issue adding memory on some models ;-)

I'm not pleased having to buy expensive cables/adapters to connect widely used legacy devices to the proprietary jacks on some of their devices too!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Nothing wrong with living in the past. The cars and the music were so much better back then ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

It depends how your brain is wired - I still find Windows more "intuitive" than IOS - and just about ANYTHING more intuitive and useable than the "Droid. But then again I started out with OS9 and Basic, then DOS2.0 then up through Windows 3 and all subsequent versions to W10. I got fragged into the "fruit computer" world with an I-Phone 4, then SE, and now 8 over the last 4 years after using 'Berries" for about 15 years or more because the i-phone works with my hearing aids, and nothing else does.

I'll LIKELY upgrafe my new tablet/notebook to W11 but as long as my old desktop continues to meet my needs it will stay on W10 since it is not capable of taking the upgrade

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The difference between DR and MS wasn't worth quibbling over. I used both - Microsoft bay have been a half cycle behind DR in features but I never found any difference in reliability or basic functionality.

Then there was OS2 - - - - - and the PS2 ----------

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Going with the tools,windoes is like some of the screws. There are a number of screw type heads. The old sloted, Phillips, torx, allen, spline, and many others. I just do not see the need for so many. Sometimes I think they change things just so you have to buy a new tool. There are several sizes of sparkplugs in cars. Lots of tire sizes. Even the boards in construction have changed deminsions over the years.

Windows is about like that. I would still be running XP on all the computers but the newer programs will not support it. Like Turbo Tax that I use to do my tax. I do have to keep an XP computer to run some programs that will not run under Win 10. I even have a couple of old laptops runing DOS or win 95/98 because of some old equipment that program with those computers. The equipment will not program with anything fster.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

There are many versions of the story but Gary Kildall of Digital Research blew off IBM when they came calling.

Reply to
rbowman

That depends on the nature of your business. People have paid me to develop software on DOS, Windows, AIX, and a number of microprocessor. Nobody ever asked me to develop for Apple.

We did have a couple of people attempting to create an iPad version of our Android app. Having to go through the Apple Store for a proprietary piece of software that would be distributed to a very small target audience was the show stopper.

Reply to
rbowman

Win10 is a better running OS then 7. I think I've only had to do 1 hard reboot since I've been using it. Many times for 7. It also appears that Windows Defender Firewall for 10 is more robust in stopping virii. I've not had an infection yet.

Reply to
Vic Smith

The problem is this isn't "the past". Microsoft keeps inflating their bloatware to fill the latest available hardware with no apparent benefit to the user other than to say they are running the latest thing. The end result is you are running about the same speed on hardware that is many times more capable than what we ran 10 years ago with no obvious benefit to the user. We are just lugging more software around. That is why people who actually need the speed like servers and serious CAD folks are as likely to be running Linux as anything.

Reply to
gfretwell

Gary just did not understand the deal IBM was willing to take. Those Kingston people who went looking for an OS were hardware people who did not understand how IBM usually did software deals. Gary did and wasn't going to sell his stuff outright. Gates saw the opportunity to sell his software and still keep the rights to it. The rest is history. There was IBM DOS and MSDOS as long as DOS was a thing. They are close to the same but not exactly. I still have a IBM DOS 7 disk that is very capable (NTFS, LFN etc) but I never used it much. For DOS, I still run 6.3 because it supports all the DOS software I still have. Usually I will run in DOSBOX tho. The only time I boot my real DOS drive is if I am running something that uses hardware calls or I need ANSI.SYS. Granted that is only a few times a year but DOSBOX does not have printer support, among other things.

Reply to
gfretwell