New sink

I am getting ready to install a new stainless sink. I haven't done this chore in decades (two houses ago). Is plumbers putty still the choice for sealing the drain basket or is there something else to consider?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Some folks are using silicone although I wouldn't recommend it. I recently installed a new Kohler SS sink and the installation instructions said to use plumbers putty which I did without any problems.

There are quite a few newer materials that will give a better seal than putty (like silicone) but most or all would be a pain to remove and clean up if you ever need to reseat the drain/ disposal in the process of completing some other maintenance or repair.

I'd stick with the lo-tech, tried, and tested method ;-)

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Plumber's putty is still it. Has just the right properties for the job.

Reply to
trader4

| > Some folks are using silicone although I wouldn't recommend it. | > I recently installed a new Kohler SS sink and the installation | > instructions said to use plumbers putty which I did without | > any problems. | >

| > There are quite a few newer materials that will give a better | > seal than putty (like silicone) but most or all would be a pain | > to remove and clean up if you ever need to reseat the drain/ | > disposal in the process of completing some other maintenance | > or repair. | >

| > I'd stick with the lo-tech, tried, and tested method ;-) | >

| > -- | > |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | > | Malcolm Hoar "The more I practice, the luckier I get". | | > | snipped-for-privacy@malch.com Gary Player. | | > |

Shpx gur PQN. | | > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | | | | Plumber's putty is still it. Has just the right properties for the | job. |

unless it is an undermount sink then I would opt for kitchen & bath silicone.

Reply to
Cabinets Galore

The OP was asking about sealing the drain basket to the sink. Not the sink to the countertop.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Hi Charlie

I've installed a few without any putty or silicone. The new ones are designed to move away from sealers. Same with bathroom drains.

Regards Dale

Reply to
whatever