An XP question

I feel foolish having to ask this but then I should be used to that...
I have a KVM switch to share this old Acorn computer with a PC running XP. PS2 for the Acorn. On switching, the mouse sometimes goes apes**t on the PC - opening up all sorts of things.
What it has done is to make the toolbar double height and moved it to the top, rather than bottom. And I can't for the life of me find out how to move it back to the default size and position.
--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

This is normally done by drag and drop (unless something has locked it)
--
Howard Neil

I used to get this problem all the time until I called Joe Strummer for help. He told me to "lock the taskbar, lock the taskbar".
-- Halmyre
much like they were saying:

Just drag the top margin of the bar to change it back to the right size. Then just click-hold-drag on the bar itself to take it back to the bottom.
If it doesn't, then right-click on it, and unlock.

When I ran win98 I was temporarily stumped by that one. It turned out the drag and drop had to be started by grabbing the numbers of the clock, not any other part of the taskbar. Perhaps the same design lunacy exists in xp too, many odd bugs were carried over from winDOS.
NT
On 16/02/2011 13:23, Tabby wrote:

Yup that is a known problem on some KVMs moving between windows and a non windows platform. On solution is an extra mouse connected directly to the problem machine! Not ideal - but workable.

Nope, on xp any blank area of bar will do. The slight problem is there is no feedback that anything is happening until you reach the "tipping point" and then it snaps to the other side.
--
Cheers,

John.

I get the same problem when switching between two Ubuntu systems, but only in one direction. However, as I now use Synergy I only have to switch once.
Thanks guys - sorted. Thought I'd tried every combination. ;-)
Anyone recommend a decent KVM switch (PS2)? My last one was just fine - but that used the scroll lock key to operate it - and this new keyboard doesn't have one.
--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Rextron make some good ones, that quite often use a double tap of the Ctrl key instead. (bit of a pain in some games though!)
--
Cheers,

John.

I've been using an Aten CS64A (4 port PS2 and audio) without any problems for a few years now, mainly switching between FreeBSD and XP but have had Win98, Vista and Windows 7 connected at times with no problem. It uses keypad num-lock and * followed by 1, 2, 3 or 4 to switch. It's a compact unit with the 4 cables hard wired into it. I see Rapid currently have them at 27.50 + delivery +VAT <http://tinyurl.com/4t7cb8h
--
Mike Clarke

On 16 Feb,

Stuart Tyrrell (STD developments/advantage6) used to sell modified KVMs that worked with acorn/windows machines. They may still do so (at a price).
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

I have an Adder GEM which you can have for P&P.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 47th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3177
Science flies people to the moon; Religion flies people into skyscrapers.

Known to use as "crazy mouse". The mouse sends three bytes each time it moves (x,y,buttons IIRC) and if one gets dropped somehow the whole thing goes out of sync. Most mouse controllers will timeout and sort themselves out - but some won't.
I suggest a USB mouse.
Andy

USB support on the Acorn is too flakey.
--
*You are stuck with your debt if you can't budge it*

The middle scroll wheel on a usb mouse is so useful, with control you can zoom into webpages. [g]
On 17/02/2011 00:32, george [dicegeorge] wrote:

... just like my PS2 mouse does :-)
--
Mike Clarke

Works on PS2 too.
--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Switched keyboard and screen, USB mouse on the PC, PS/2 on the Acorn?
It might be worth trying to not move the mouse while switching.
Andy