One for the hardware types.

I have two computers - an Acorn and PC - sharing via a KVM switch. Works exactly as I want.
Thing is the mouse. Has to be PS2 to be shared. The KVM switch is PS2/DVI. And I like the PS2 Acorn keyboard.
The mouse is clapped out. And PS2 cordless optical hard to find new. Add to that the poor battery life. Two AA NiMH are lucky to last just over a week or so. Alkaline perhaps a month.
I've bought a SmallyMouse2 which allows a modern USB 2.4G cordless optical to work with the Acorn. The SM has a flying lead with the Acorn connector one end - USB in its case. (To use PS2, I have an adaptor from Acorn to PS2) At the moment, I'm now using a second USB cordless with the PC. Which upsets my OCD. ;-)
So the question. Would it be possible to get the PS2 switch in the KVM to handle the USB signal? I can source adaptors of the correct gender so everything physically plugs in, but no point if it fundamentally won't work.
--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman wrote:

Generally the PS/2->USB adapters are passive (perhaps coded with a short or a resistor between two pins) so when the mouse is plugged in, it looks to detect that and if it does it "boots" as a USB mouse, otherwise as a PS/2 mouse ... so the smarts are in the mouse, not the adapter.

I've got zero clue how many circuits etc are used in each - especially given the number of pins on PS2.
Bust are you saying a the PS2 switch in the KVM might work for USB if I can get all the connections correct? I'd be happy to make things if needed.
--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman wrote:

No, those adapters only allow the mouse they came with to work as either a PS2 or as a USB mouse, but your KVM will only work with a PS2 mouse anyway. Since the smally2 expects a USB mouse, looks like you need a DVI/USB KVM instead of DVI/PS2 ...
In the same way most KVM manufacturers are cagey about supporting wireless receivers for wireless mice, I daresay they wouldn't want to guarantee working with a smally2, my Aten DP/USB happens to work with a logitech universal receiver, but a few features of the mouse are lost, and the support is unofficial, I think my older Aten DVI/USB didn't work.
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 16:20:55 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I view a proper wired KVM solution as being one which needs to be rock solid which isn't compatible with anything "wireless".

Only thing I want wireless is the mouse. ;-)
--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Snag is I want to retain the PS2 Acorn keyboard. Which works with both it and the PC, via the KVM. The Acorn as no USB, so can't use a USB keyboard.

Wonder if I could use a USB switch? Any method of making that work from the switching signal of the KVM?
--
*And the cardiologist' s diet: - If it tastes good spit it out.

Dave Plowman wrote:

If the KVM has a status LED per input port, you could hook a logic circuit from that using something like 4066B quad switch IC ...

Good thinking there. ;-)
--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Although presumably if you simply hard switch a USB mouse then its going to look like its been disconnected from one machine and then connected to the next. The USB KVM switches usually maintain the illusion that it remains connected to all the machines at the same time.
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

Depends how 'intelligent' the mouse is, if e.g. it has configurable DPI and programmable buttons, then each O/S might send different settings and get confused when switching computers ... or the delay in plug'n'playing the mouse when swapping ports might be annoying.

I suppose I could try a cheap USB switch and see if it works. Obviously, I'd need one which can be remote switched to do what I want.
--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

On 15/09/2018 08:50, Andy Burns wrote:

I have certainly seen issues even on some proper KVMs when switching between machines with different OSs because the mouse configuration maintained by the KVM is not consistent with each OS.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 14:57:30 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Tell me about it. There are three KVMs in regular use here, and each has a mixture of Windows and FreeBSD machines attached to it (and one has other weird things).
The Aten is the *only* one to preserve state properly and reliably.

Did think USB was meant to be 'hot' plugable. Unlike older ports.
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

It is, but normally KVMs present an illusion to the computer that the mouse remains connected at all times. So no delays in it detecting and re mounting the device on each switch.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 17:02:34 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I should have reiterated that both mouse and keyboard are actually PS/2!

My old cordless mouse was one of those that was USB, but supplied with a USB to PS2 adaptor. I think of a type known as quadrature?
--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 15:10:49 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

There are smart keyboard adaptors, but not seen one for mice.
Best plan is a KVM that handles both. I am a *great* fan of the Aten ones; they work well, and unlike many others (I mean you, Belkin) they emulate well enough that you can boot another machine in the background without it screwing up.
I wasted a lot of money on inferior KVMs before I discovered these.
https://tinyurl.com/y7hplbqw

It's an Aten I have. However, if you don't select the PC when it is booting, the PS2 mouse won't work on it - might of course be different with USB.
Are you saying they do a version with DVI, PS2 and USB? (don't need the audio) That would probably get round my problem - at a cost, as they're not cheap.
--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *