Odd things in gardens and houses

Not the more usual garden gnomes, miniature windmills etc., but..
In Oxford there is terraced house, with a large plastic shark poking out of the roof tiles. I recently spotted briefly from the top deck of a bus, a semi-detached house with what looked like flock of sheep in the front garden. Taking a longer look this morning, it was a group of around 7 sheep plus a sheep dog - all full size and plastic.
On Friday, 14 September 2018 14:58:46 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I've seen that one before, and then was an imperial walker from star wars made of wood in a frint garden.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-northamptonshire-41237682/giant-star-wars-at-at-model-built-in-front-garden
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 14:58:42 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

My late next-door neighbour had three full-size plastic pigs in his garden, one sow and two piglets!
--

Chris

Chris Hogg wrote:

As I have a plastic lawn, there is a slight temptation for a plastic sheep to graze it ... but I've resisted so far.
On 14/09/2018 16:22, Andy Burns wrote:

Go for it, put a smile on a strangers face!
On 14/09/2018 16:22, Andy Burns wrote:

Nah, *electric* sheep. Solar powered of course.
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 17:02:25 +0100, newshound wrote:

And a sleeping, dreaming android of course.

Thats twice you have looked, is this some new fetish activity called Bo Peeping.
GH
Marland has brought this to us :

I caught a very fleeting glimpse the first time, a fraction of a second, just a vague impression and I wasn't sure my eyes hadn't deceived me. Where they were, with a field of sheep just at the other side of the road, they could well have been live sheep.

By coincidence I walked past a shop this morning in a Devon town that had some of these ornamental sheep in a window display ,outside there was a real dog going absolutely potty barking at them. I have also remembered that nearer to where I normally live there is a small independent group called IN-EXCESS which sells a variety of hardware, wood tools and garden items many of them end of line or surplus from other retailers . They also seem to get some weird garden ornaments in at times, A Bulldog made in bright red GRP that would bad taste enough but made worse because it was about the size of a real pony. I wonder who buys these things. They also have dinosaurs for sale, some of them are displayed here where they have set them up to raise funds for the nearby hospital.
https://youtu.be/D8o1IbsOUfo

https://youtu.be/D8o1IbsOUfo
It is worth a pound to see the occasional child whose parents haven’t kept them close suddenly burst into tears or a cyclist on the road outside shit themselves.
GH
On 14/09/2018 14:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

A guy on a council estate a few miles from here had a dipute with the council, so he decided to have a few garden ornaments ... IIRC a cooker screwed to the wall about 8 feet up, a car planted nose down as far as the windscreen and a minuature of stonehenge made of old engines.
SteveW
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 21:48:27 +0100

Stonehengine?
--
Davey.

Yes there is an art installation somewhere in the states that is a load of cars buried in various positions in the ground, apparently. Brian
--
----- --
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 07:57:37 +0100

"Carhenge", in Nebraska.
https://visitnebraska.com/see_and_dos/carhenge
for reference.
--
Davey.

Yes it is an odd thing to do. I am not sure who started this practice. I wonder if its a bit like all the clutter one sees now around Christmas time with illuminated Santas and all the rest of it?
I think the shark one would have been an issue for the planning department, as a guy who put a couple of Santa wellies sticking out of his chimney for Christmas had the council around about it saying it was not allowed in a conservation area. I guess the litter spread all over the footways and dead trees in the area are nothing to do with the council then? Brian
--
----- --
Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :

From what I read about the shark, it certainly was an issue, but it has been there now for decades and it has become a bit of a tourist attraction. I first spotted it driving past, when working down there at John Radcliffe.
On 15/09/2018 07:51, Brian Gaff wrote:

The litter is caused by the wankers that throw it there, not by the council.
However Sheffield council is still doing its best to cut down healthy trees at great cost
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-45393916
--
Adam