1st year apprentice

OK, so he is 16 and only been with us 8 weeks. His task was to put a 13A plug onto my blue extension lead. He was given both the plug and the extension lead and told not to put the plug top on until I has inspected his wiring.
Did he
1. Fit the plug to the extension lead correctly and leave the plug top off for inspection
2. Fit the plug to the extension incorrectly and leave the plug top off for inspect.
3. Have some sort of brain seizure and fit the plug top to a roll of 1.5mm white 3 core flex that he found in the van AND fit the plug top so that his wiring could not be inspected.
Answers on a post card to PO BOX W4NK3R.
--
Adam

I'll vote for 3.
This lad is a potential success story. Not only did he assess your old extension as unfit, he used initiative to solve the problem. Correctly judging the 1.5mm 3 core to be a suitable replacement, he had the confidence in his workmanship to fit the plug top.
Lacking the appropriate, unsupplied outlet socket he wisely did not unwind and cut the cable leaving this decision to his supervisor.

--
Tim Lamb

Was he given suitable instruction on this obscure task - or did you arrogantly assume that because you could do it at his age then he should? Are you the type who would laugh at a teenager trying to use a dial phone or a Walkman?

It isnt an obscure task.

He was told to leave the plug top off it would be easy to check if he had wired it correctly.

Of course he is.
On 15/09/2018 10:19, DerbyBorn wrote:

I would not consider fitting a plug to be an obscure task for an electrical apprentice, even a first year one. What is obscure is that he did not fit the plug to the extension lead that he was given but went to the van and fitted the plug to a roll of flex.
And yes I took the piss out of him at the wholesalers when he got stuck trying to get out of the front door with the sign saying pull on it.
--
Adam

What is that quote, lesson one listen as well as you hear, or in this case look and read as well as you see.
There is unfortunate a problem and maybe its always been this way, with people actually having selective memory of the short term kind. I think this is why repeat while under supervision is a great thing. It can teach you to actually understand the words and also by asking questions the logic of the decisions made that result in the task being completed successfully. IE if you had given him a knackered old extension to fix with an obvious busted plug, Look at the rest for wire or other damage before wasting your time fitting a new plug, plugging it in and finding the wire is half cut through. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 15/09/2018 10:47, ARW wrote:

You should always try pushing a "Pull" door in case the door goes both ways and they just want to tell you what to do.
--
Max Demian

Max Demian wrote:

Not just me then ...
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 12:03:14 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

I always have trouble with the doors marked "Lift"
Cheers
Dave R

On 15/09/2018 13:01, David wrote:

Or Aufzug in German (literally Up Train).
On 15/09/2018 10:47, ARW wrote:

Your instructions must have been unclear to him. This isn't necessarily your fault. However, a good method is to make the learner speak the instructions back to you. You check for real understanding. So that he doesn't think you're babying him say, "OK, now just in case that wasn't clear, tell me exactly what you have to do, in your own words."
As I'm sure you know teenage often have surprising gaps in their knowledge and in the very way they their perception works. You are extremely lucky because you have the rare pleasure of guiding them, helping them, and generally reconstructing their minds so they become useful human beings. Enjoy!

Fair enough. Did he cry?
Bill

It will be hilarious to hear what they have to say about Adam when they are old fogeys themselves. Corse none of us will be around to hear that unless they double the life expectancy and we don’t end up as vegys by then.

On 15/09/2018 13:18, Bill Wright wrote:

Only when I said I would like to fuck his mother.
--
Adam

Fear of getting a sibling that might look like you could be the reason for that.
GH

Does the 1.5mm refer to the overall diameter of the flex, the diameter of each core including insulation, or the diameter of each core excluding insulation.
--
The truth of the matter is that we Scots have always been more divided amongst
ourselves than pitted against the English. Scottish history before the Union of
On 15/09/2018 10:35, Tim Streater wrote:

CSA of the copper of each core (like normal).
--
Adam

No.
--

Roger Hayter

Tim Streater wrote:

Every one knows what he is referring to except maybe you.
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 20:42:02 +1000, FMurtz wrote:

I'm more of an old imperial measurement type (AWG/SWG etc) but believe that 1.5mm is *way* too thin to make an extension lead out of (unless you just want to make up something specifically for a lightly loaded lighting application.
On 15/09/2018 13:07, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Until someone borrows it for a not-so-lightly-loaded application.