1st year apprentice

Because it is nice to have it on a reel. And it probably costs not much more than buying the flex and sockets retail. And it's probably got a thermal cut out which would be difficult to sort for a home made reel.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I do, but am grateful for the reminder. However, not everyone installs the appropriate fuse.

I can see no more than a 3.5% voltage drop on a 25mm length of 1.5mm 3 core flex happening when using a 2.2kW load.

That will not be a problem for most power tools.

Was this for some tool with an inrush current?

Or to put it another way, my voltage is a nice 252V (and a PSC of >12kA and a Ze of 0.01 ohms) but I often work on places with much lower voltages and higher Ze readings.

Now if you have a Ze closing in on .3 ohms [1] I can see the extension lead making a bigger difference especially if plugged in at the mid point of a large ring or the end of a radial.

[1] I have not seen much higher that that for a long time even on a TNS supply.

I have seen it a lot on building site with 110V transformers and long leads. The performance of chop/mitre saws seems to suffer the most.

Reply to
ARW

That and/or he's having a bad day.

  1. He used a stanley knife to cut the outer sheath on the cable, cutting himself in the process as well as nicking right through the LNE cables too (but still fitted it anyway).
Reply to
Andrew

Or Aufzug in German (literally Up Train).

Reply to
Andrew

I'm surprised he didn't pick me up on my 'deliberate' :-( mistake!

Reply to
Fredxx

Mainly a concrete breaker, which ran much slower with a long 1.5mm lead. A motor is probably a non-linear load, and presumably a variable current as the cam turned operating the hammer. Incidentally we have a pole transformer supply, which is probably less good than yours, though I have never tried to measure it.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Slight lack of sensa yuma round here, ISTM.

I was minded to add: "..., or is it none of these and the three cores are all 0.5mm uninsulated twisted together" but I couldn't be arsed. Oh well.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ha ha ha nice one Dave, you made my day. Now wipe the spittle off your mouth before Nurse sees it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So it's a core diameter of just under 1.4mm.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not much of an explanation from you. And conductor size isn't measured by diameter. 1.5mm refers to the area.

But then partial explanations are the sign of a true Brexiteer. Let others guess the truth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good. The whole idea is to upset the likes of Doom. Since it is the only language he seems to understand.

I think you're several years too late. So when in Rome...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Instead of a fuse in the plug, or in addition?

Don't all such reels have a warning about extending them fully for a high load? But even then I'd expect the plug fuse to blow if you're trying to get 26 amps through it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And there's me thinking that God has sent me first year apprentices as a punishment when I could have just asked you to torment me instead.

Reply to
ARW

Which is perfectly OK for a 1.5mm squared domestic extension lead. If you need a super long one for high load you'd be advised to increase the cable size to keep voltage drop to a minimum.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It aimed East and West?

Reply to
ARW

But a 13 amp fuse is correct for 1.5mm cable...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm guessing either the wire was bare, or it was plugged into the mains.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It was a non political/Brexit post. The apprentice was not asked to wire up a European plug.

Reply to
ARW