Apprentice claims he is badly done by

Situation. He lives in Rotherham, I live in Barnsley (close to the M1) and tomorrow we are working in Bradford.
He wants me to meet him half way between our homes to save himself some time in the morning instead of driving to my house.
I have tried to explain to him that even if I picked him up at home he will still have to get up at the same time in the morning as he will be almost passing my house 30 minutes after I have picking him up from home.
No brains at all.
--
Adam

On Sun, 13 May 2018 16:06:10 +0100, ARW wrote:

No sympathy here. You obviously don't beat the boy enough.
On Sunday, 13 May 2018 16:06:10 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

Will it same him petrol or bus fare?
If you pick him up from his home you can meet his mum. Maybe she's fit, or has a bacon roll waiting, or both.
Owain
On 13/05/2018 21:35, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I did pick him up from home last week when we were working in Lutterworth.
--
Adam

That's assuming though, that your van and his car travel at the same speed.
As then obviously its going to take, him the same amount of time to travel from Rotherham to Bradford regardless of what vehicle he's travelling in.
And so he'll need to get up at the same time.
However if his car is clapped out to the extent that it can't even get anywhere near the relevant speed limits, then any part of the jouney which he can take in a faster vehicle such as your van will shorten his journey time to that extent and will allow him to get up that bit later.
You'll doubtless be pleased to know that I had to first look those places up on a map, and then try to work this our with pencil and paper, dots lines etc before making this ground breaking insight.
michael adams
On 14/05/2018 09:09, michael adams wrote:

All the information was in ARW's original post.
We were told Barnsley was on the way to Bradford from Rotherham.
We were also told the apprentice was expected to drive from Rotherham to Barnsley and then they would both travel in the van together to Bradford.
I'm not sure why is this so difficult?

Why what's so difficult ?
Oh and by the way, "I'm not sure why is this so difficult?" is a statement.
So why did you put a question mark at the end of it ?
michael adams
On 14/05/2018 11:54, michael adams wrote:

Perhaps because I anticipated your reply "Why what's so difficult" where you would be unable to comprehend ARW's post.

So which word or words, in the five word phrase as posted above
"instead of driving to my house."
are you having the greatest difficulty with ?
The arrangement as described by Adam is that the apprentice drives to Adam's house in his own car, and then and only then do both of them proceed on to Bradford.
What the apprentice is suggesting is that they meet half way between his house and Adam's house. Basically Adam drived back in the wrong direction.
Suppose for the sake of argument that the apprentice's house is 50 miles from Adam's. And that the apprentice's car has a top speed of 40 mph. That means it would take him 1 hr and 15 minutes to do thayt part of the journey.
Or 37 and a half minutes to travel to the half way point
Adam's van meanwhile has a top speed of 50 mph. So it would take Adam 1 hour exactly to cover that same distance; or 30 minutes to reach the half way point.
So that to reach Adam's house - in his own car all the way it would take the apprentice 1 hr and 15 minutes.
However if he travels in Adam's van from the half way point that's 37.5 plus 30 - 1hr 7.5 minutes. Seven and a half minutes quicker for the same distance so he can get up seven and a half minutes later.
If you're still having difficulties with this, maybe you could show it to somebody else.
michael adams
On 14/05/2018 11:47, michael adams wrote:

Perhaps he has an invalid car with a top speed of 4 MPH?
I did think Adam's post was missing a couple of details.

Indeed, that would be the case if both vehicles travelled at the same speed.
However as I also pointed out, if the speeds were different then that would no longer apply. However the apprentice could only save on his journey time, at the expense of Adam's journey time.
In the above example while the apprentice would save seven and a half minutes, Adam would have added an extra 60 minutes to his journey time - travelling an extra 25 miles there and another 25 miles back from the half-way point back to where he started from.
Which is why from Adam's point of view if not the apprentice's this is obviously not a very good idea.
michael adams

Where on this thread has anyone, myself included, ever suggested that they were ?
michael adams
michael adams was thinking very hard :

Simple answer, both should take lodgings in Bradford. I hear has an exceptional red light district.
On 14/05/2018 11:47, michael adams wrote:

Is this a Radio 4 'Today' quiz ?.
On 14/05/2018 09:09, michael adams wrote:

Ever heard of google maps?
And Bill will be annoyed that you had to look up Rotherham on a map.
--
Adam

Er, google maps are maps.
The clue is in the name.
michael adams
On 14/05/2018 19:56, michael adams wrote:

http://bfy.tw/I7sb
--
Adam

On 14/05/2018 09:09, michael adams wrote:

Nah, he has got a brand one one. The old one had an unfortunate accident when he took his gf to Alton Towers "for the ride of her life". He hit the wall at Alton Towers car park on the way in and wrote his old car off.
--
Adam

On 14/05/18 19:34, ARW wrote:

Well, he should have been looking where he was going instead of giving her the ride of her life <Sid James Laugh...>
On 14/05/2018 09:09, michael adams wrote:

Rotherham is a part of Somalia and Bradford is a part of Pakistan. They are both a long way from the England of my youth.
Bill