Window AC with Dehumidifier Only

Back in the summer I ran across a couple window AC units that also had a "Dehumidifier Only" setting (IE - not cooling) although I don't remember where. I'm now renovating a basement and wanted to install one but cannot locate...any suggestions?

-trevor

Reply to
Trevor Miller

It cooled..particularly when the electric heat strip failed. :)

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

The only A/C units I have seen with dehumidifier only settings are portable units (that vent heat and moisture out a vent hose when used for air conditioning). For dehumidifier use, the vent hose is vented back into the room instead of outdoors. But then they have to be emptied (which usually does not have to be done when used for air conditioning).

But if all you need is a dehumidifier for a cool basement that does not need air conditioning, it would make more sense to simply get a dehumidifier (designed for that and much less expensive).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Just because it says it, doesn't mean it does it. I have an LG A/C that has a "Dry" (dehumidifier only) setting. There is no information in the manual as to how it is supposed to do this. I called their technical support number and no one could explain to me how it works other than it is a "Dry" setting. From what I can gather, this is not a true dehumidifier, just a different A/C cycle setting.

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

Many years ago, while living in Taiwan, we had a couple of Hitachi A/C units with a "dehumidify" setting. This seemed to be an "x minutes on, x minutes off" setting with no account taken of the temperature.

MB

On 02/21/04 09:20 pm Marilyn and Bob put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister