Portable AC platform

I have a couple of portable AC units that I use during the summer, and wanted to ask if anyone had ever had this issue before.

Initially, the units do great cooling the house and there's a drain on the back of the machine that I can put a hose in to divert the condensation into a larger container so I don't have to take it outside to drain it.

Our summers can get very humid, and the machine eventually ends up spilling excess condensation into the pan at the bottom of the machine and it ends up overflowing onto the floor. So, I found a large plastic container lid that I could use the catch that water, but it still was producing too much condensation from the humidity. I'd end up having to go to too much trouble to either sop up that water, or drain it by some other means.

I decided to make an AC platform about 8 inches off the floor where I could line it with plastic that has a drain hole in it, so any excess water would be caught in the plastic liner and drain into a large bucket below it which would be easy to just dump in the sink (no more sopping water up or going to a lot of trouble to deal with the excess condensation). I couldn't find anything from any business that made something like that already, so I had to design something that was just functional.

It's not "pretty", but it works! ac-platform:

Does anyone know of anything already pre-built that serves the same purpose that can be ordered online? I've looked using many different search terms and come up with nothing, so I made a rough version of something functional myself.

If you don't know of anything already pre-made like this, how would you design it differently to do the same thing?

Reply to
Muggles

Why not just add a small condensate pump and send the water down a drain somewhere?

Reply to
gfretwell

Or just get an old commode?

Reply to
clare

I don't know how I'd do that, but it sounds like a good idea.

Reply to
Muggles

I have one of those in the second floor and fortunately for me, the second floor overhangs the first, so I just drilled a hole in the carpet and the floor and whatever comes after that and dangled the but a foot out of the hole. Water doesn't hit the wall and it falls in the most ignored corner of my yard. But if there were no overhang, I might have drilled the hole through the side wall, and even on the first floor, most first floors are a foot about ground level.

I was supposed to check the tube for insects the second season. Maybe ill do that the third, but it worked fine the second.

Getting the tube through a series of holes when the tube had been wound in 12" circle required a smidgeon of cleverness, and I will tell you if you want me too.

Emptying those things woudl be a pain, and knowing me, I'd often be late.

Reply to
Micky

A bunch cut.

Have you tried cart, furniture cart, or dollie? And Harbor Freight? Furniture cart turned up fancier ones.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If it didn't get so humid here, the AC wouldn't have any issues with excess condensation, so I'm used to checking it about once a day to empty it.

Reply to
Muggles

Yes, I've looked at those type of things, too. They usually aren't high enough off the floor to insert a bucket to catch the excess condensation.

Reply to
Muggles

Use a commode - they come with a bucket built in.

Reply to
clare

What if you go away for two days and forget to turn it off?

Reply to
Micky

That doesn't make sense.

Reply to
Muggles

We would turn those AC's off. We have 2 other window units we can leave on if we need to.

Reply to
Muggles

every portable AC and dehumidifier I've ever seen had an auto shutoff on the internal bucket.

Reply to
clare

Why not?

Reply to
clare

On Wed 22 Mar 2017 07:44:43a, Muggles told us...

It's too late now, but portable units ere probably not your best choice.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

A commode??

Reply to
Muggles

At the time we bought them, we couldn't find a better choice for the price we could afford that didn't require heavy lifting, too. I can't do the heavy window unit thing, and neither can my husband. So, an AC with wheels that was portable was a good choice. They do keep the house nice and cool, I just had to find a solution for the excessive condensation issue.

Reply to
Muggles

an old portable crapper. Set the (crappy) portable AC unit on the seat and let it drain.

Reply to
clare

So, you really don't have a good idea where I could find a better version of a portable AC platform to catch and drain excess AC condensation?

Reply to
Muggles

Yes. Go to an antique shop and my an old commode chair, or to your local goodwill type store-or to your local health and mobility supply and buy a new one. I'm DEAD SERIOUS. Basically an adult "potty chair" Get one with a flat topoften bariatric - or easier to find and lower cost - a standard one and fasten s wooden flat top on it.

Reply to
clare