Triple expansion steam engine

Right now I'm reading the book "The Sand Pebbles" a Navy tale that took place in 1926 China.

Though the author, Richard McKenna give a great explanation of the ship's engine I really wanted to see the thing so found this:

philo

That's a small one. I was a watertender (CG license lingo for boilerman) on a couple Great Lakes ships with triple expansion steam engines. The Standard Oil "Indiana" and Cleveland Tankers "Rocket." There were a number of them steaming circa '71. I think they were all scrapped by the '80's.

Reply to
Vic Smith

The one in the video, if it's like the one in the book was from about the year 1900. The story takes place in 1926 and the engine is described as obsolete.

Amazing how little I know about steam engines.

As to the Great Lakes, I've lived in Milwaukee 80% of my life and love the Great Lakes...to me all the other lakes in this world are just puddles.

A friend of mine who works at the airport said a guy came in from New Jersey and asked him what ocean was that out there.

Reply to
philo

The Rocket was built in 1913. Towed to Spain an scrapped in 1974.

That's because you had no reason to be around them. I worked at US Steel south works in 1968 and ran into all kinds of machinery with the year 18** on their castings. Probably my most memorable work there was when I was part a crew ( I was a millwright helper in the Power division) that reactivated a number of blast furnace gas engines used to generate electricity. They hadn't been used in decades, but electric rates had spiked, so they decided to get them going. Those engines were probably built about 1905. Double acting piston with a cam turned generator at the other end. Each one was about 60' long. There were about 20 of them in a massive building. Used a 1000 lb open end wrench to loosen or tighten the shaft gland nuts. Riggers world build a platform over the cylinder and 6 or 7 would get up there and swing the "hammer" onto the wrench. One overhead crane would take a strain on the wrench, and another crane would suspend the "hammer," which was a 10' steel rod weighing maybe a ton and a half. We felt like a lilliputians running back an forth swinging that hammer. Funny enough that we were laughing.

Yep. The Great Lakes are something.

Reply to
Vic Smith

One other thing I recall from some of the paper-mills is that they were using those large old-style dynamos

Reply to
philo

Lake Superior contains ten percent of the world's liquid fresh water.

Reply to
Neill Massello

"I haven't lost power, I've just gained diameter."

Reply to
Neill Massello

I live on Lake Michigan, all in the all great lakes hold 20% of the Earth's fresh water...or something like that

Reply to
philo

Yep!

Reply to