Missing triple track storm windows and screens

A couple of the (many) windows in our house are missing either the screen or the storm in the triple track attached storm windows. The triple tracks are old and eventually need to be replaced so I don't want to spend a lot of money on custom replacements and since they are quite old I can't identify the original manufacturer.

Short of replacing the entire triple track now, are there generic replacements that I could assemble/build to my exact height/width dimensions? If so, where could I get them?

Reply to
blueman

The final post in this thread will tell you where you will end up:

The storm panels are required by code, and common sense, to be tempered - you will not be able to buy stock tempered glazing for a storm window as storm windows are usually custom made to fit a very wide range of window sizes. This is another one of those things where the parts cost more than the whole. Price a complete replacement storm window and a replacement individual storm/screen panel. Any local window place will do for the pricing and the price difference might not be all that great, prompting you to replace the storms over a period of time.

BTW, storm windows would qualify for the 30% tax incentive for energy improvements. Don't forget to factor that in to your calculations.

RicodJour

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but have considered replacing the windows and not the triple-track storms?

The reason I ask is that having done all of my windows, a few at a time over the last 2 years, I can whole-heartedly attest to the convenience of being able to open and close the windows without having to raise storms, lower screens, raise screens, lower storms every time we want to turn the heat or AC on.

Add in the windows that are half hidden by a bunk bed or other obstacle...these windows used to be left closed all the time. Now they are opened with 1 hand for cross breezes, etc.

Finally, I just washed all of my windows in a very short amount of time due to the tilt-in feature. Removing the storms and then climbing half out of the old windows took hours and was usually left until I could barely see through the windows.

Just a thought...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I would do that if the house weren't historic. But most of the windows have the original "wavy" glass and are 150-200 years old.

If I were to replace them at any point (and to be fair some have been replaced over time where major renovations were done as in the kitchen), I would probably either have them rebuilt (with insulated glass) or would order high end custom all-wood frame double hungs with true divided glass etc.

My conscience would not let me get away with a cheap but easier solution and replacing 30+ windows with high end stuff is not in my budget now...

Reply to
blueman