Replacement windows or new storms and screens?

We are giving consideration to replacing our 40 year old wood windows. They are drafty and bugs get in through the screens.

We are planning on selling the house in 3 to 7 years.

Here is what we see our options as being:

Replacing with vinyl Replacing with wood Replacing JUST the storms and screens Not replacing anything at all

Are there any other options that I am missing?

HEEELP!!! Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

Reply to
Confuzzled in Sloatsburg

You need to do an economic analysis. Cost versus payback. Also, replacing entire windows could be a big pain in terms of mess.

Reply to
LouB

e quoted text -

I had all my steel casement windows replaced 20+ years ago. no mess no hassle at all.

BRAND NEW windows will increase home value the most

Reply to
hallerb

Hi, You left out one thing. where do you live?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Replace with vinyl replacements of the E squared energy star efficient type. Cheaper cost and larger return. Also reduces your heating/air conditioning costs.

Reply to
LSMFT

ide quoted text -

Go for cheap, storms and screens. With the housing market getting more and more depressed, you would not be likely to recover any large part of a window investment for a number of years. Keep the present windows painted and tidy and the potential buyers will be just as happy not having to pay a higher price for your house based on your upgrades. Same thing with kitchen fads and the like.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Didja miss the part where he told you where he lived, twice?

Username: "Confuzzled in Sloatsburg" Last Line In post: "Confuzzled in Sloatsburg"

There's only one Sloatsburg that I know of.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "Are there any other options that I am missing?"

Yeah: Move now!

One major advantage of VRW that most people don't bring up is the convenience.

We like to open our windows when it's nice out - year round - but obviously we want them closed when we use the AC or heat.

For maximum efficiency, not only should the windows be closed but the storms should down also. It was really a pain to open and close the old triple track storms, especially while reaching over a desk or bed.

With VRW, it's a one handed operation - so easy that there's no hesitation when deciding to open/close the windows.

Even if you are moving in 3 - 7 years, that's a lot of "convenience" to think about.

If you're handy, you can get a good price on windows at a contractor's supply house and save a huge amount of money by doing them yourself - and at your own pace. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And that is in NY.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

And don't forget that if you get new Energy Star windows installed this year you can take 30%, up to $1500, of the cost of the windows, but not installation, off of your income tax. I replaced mine last spring and will get about a $700 reduction in my income tax for this year. Plus the savings in energy, and the convenience of being able to open and close windows. I even started cleaning my windows quarterly. Not something I looked forward to with storm windows. There is also one item that isn't mentioned much, but I noticed it. I live near a freeway. The freeway noise is a lot lower with the new windows.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Storms do little to stop air infiltration, that where the new window makes a big difference. Easlly 40% of a windows energy savings can be air leakage. Windows are rated by air infiltration as well as maybe 6 other parameters.

is a good place to start learning, learn facts of a window before talking to any salesbsmen. When I was shopping windows I enjoyed pointing out their bs lies on what they pushed. The independant testing of various parameters is what you need to understand, Vlt, Cdf, U and R value, Glazing types, Shg, air infiltration, are how windows are compared, if your area is windy air infiltration is important, if it gets real cold -f and you humidify CDF is critical and Pella do poorly. Windows are a big decision and big business with lost of junk and warrantys companies never honor because the fine print allows them to many outs, so research it.

Reply to
ransley

Oh come on...you're making it too easy for Mr. Hwang.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had to buy vinyl replacements to get the $1500 fed tax credit. They're cheaper too. They look really nice too.

Reply to
JimT

What are the trade-offs between vinyl and wood replacement windows? I know vinyl is cheaper and needs no painting. I also know from a friend's experience that in a fire they can melt.

Reply to
Ivan

What are the trade-offs between vinyl and wood replacement windows? I know vinyl is cheaper and needs no painting. I also know from a friend's experience that in a fire they can melt.

====

Ya know, there are probably better answers on the web or from other posters. We went with vinyl for the tax credit. We originally wanted aluminum, for the style of the house, but the price was too high and the salesman talked us into the vinyl.

My guess would be in a fire, compared to wood, there wouldn't be too much difference. The wood ones would be more kindling. I'm pretty sure the vinyl were the most energy efficient for the money. They are guaranteed from defect for the life of the house (or us?) with a ten year transferable warranty too.

The vinyl's look is somewhat similar to wood. Problem is you're stuck with the mfg. colors and the darker the color the more expensive. But the ones we had installed look really nice so I'm pleased with the appearance anyway. We got as dark as we could. I've seen some of the lighter vinyl's in our neighborhood and they just don't look right. The ones we got (Don Young Windows/Doors, Dallas TX) have a faux wood grain too that looks nice. Great installers and VERY resonable installation price. $85/window (install not the window) and I talked him into a $85/window regardless of the size so he did triple windows for the price of a single. Single story 1700 sf for less than $4k. I've still got a couple to go so I don't know the exact price but it will be less than $4k. But for $85 bucks a window it just didn't make any since to do it myself.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Some flex, cant hold a window AC, are not approved for apartments here. I wonder about painting, wood should insulate better and aluminum doesnt insulate, im sure there are more reasons to compare.

Reply to
ransley

e quoted text -

I had window units in my vinyl windows for many years till I got a new furnace with air a few years ago. It never caused a problem and one was a 240 volt unit 12K BTU that cooled most of the downstairs.

the vinyl ones have been in near 20 years and look fine no painting in all that time:) the metal casements were terrible.

unfortunately the company that made the vinyl windows went out of business and parts like lift mechanisms are hard to get...........

Reply to
hallerb

e quoted text -

re: "cant hold a window AC"

Why not? (Serious question)

Here's why I ask:

I've haven't had to use a window AC with my VRW because I had central air installed prior to the windows, but I used to use window AC units when I had wooden windows with triple track aluminum storms. I always had to build up the sills and support the units inside and out because of the frame for the storms.

Why wouldn't I be able to rig something up to use a window unit with my VRW, similar to what I did with my old windows?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

ide quoted text -

you should supprt window AC both inside and outside, just dont rest all its weight on the edge of vinyl window

Reply to
hallerb

ide quoted text -

Building code for apartments where I am wont allow it for strength reasons, they are flimsy compared to alumimum

Reply to
ransley