Storm Window Question

My new house has a number of oddly-sized windows (all rectangular, but often of weird dimensions).

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth making my own storm windows.

Imagine the scene from a bad movie with the devil and an angel speaking in a different ear. In one ear (not sure if it's the devil or the angel saying this) I'm "how hard can it be? It's just getting glass cut to size, building a frame, and attaching it."

In the other ear, I'm hearing "you've never done this before, you're going to spend hours going back and forth to the store getting parts you forgot, don't be a cheapskate, just suck up the cost for new multipane windows."

Who should I listen to?

If I decide to make and install my own storms, can someone point to a good book with plans? My basic all-purpose home repair guide has a project for building storms out of acrylic and attaching them with plastic tracks to the window frame, but that looks kind of tacky.

For reference, the frames are wood, the windows are a mix of casement and hung.

The more I think about this, the more it seems like the idea of building storms for the whole house is nuts, but it might be worth doing in a couple of less-used rooms just for a rainy day project.

Reply to
Gry

New windows will outperform old windows and storms in both air infiltration and R value. But cost alot more.

Reply to
m Ransley

Well, I don't know about infiltration. If the frames are not square and the new windows are not custom fit, one might end up with as much infiltration as exists now.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

Many years ago I was going to a ballgame with a buddy. He said he wanted to stop by his mother's house to install a storm window. I knew nothing about them and figured the day was shot as this was a big project. Turns out, putting in triple track windows is a ten minute job. Two years later we were ding it on the side with a little business and we easily knocked out a house on a Saturday. If you have double hung windows, that is the way to go.

Making a storm that has to be removed every season is a PITA if you can avoid it. Especially if they are high up. You may be right about doing it for a couple of rooms that have odd windows, but for the entire house, it is a career, not a simple home improvement. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski