Storm Windows Question ?

Hello:

Live in a 30 yr old colonial in New England.

Previous owner had "storm windows" installed. These are the more or less typical ones where an additional Aluminum frame is added with extra sliding glass panes. In the summer you either remove them, or slide them downward so an extra bug screen can go in place in the upper space.

Will be replacing several of these, and would like to learn a bit more before asking a contractor over.

The new Andersen windows I see all apparently come with double pane glass.

They even seem to have an option for putting an inert gas, presumably Nitrogen, between the panes. Also, it has a low e (emissivity) coating on the glass.

Not up to date with this stuff.

Is the double pane, etc., supposed to replace the type of "storm windows" I now have ?

Or, do I still want/need to consider adding storm windows ?

Any info. on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

BTW: Are Pella, Jeld-Wen, or Harvey considered as high a quality product as Andersen by you folks in the know ? Any others I'm not listing ?

Reply to
Robert11

The double (or triple) pane windows are replacements for storm windows. Usually they are better in several ways, including more convenient and efficient. Adding storm windows will add additional insulation as would using triple pane designs, but likely that would be overkill for your home and area. I would go for the low-e option. I would also make sure there is a good thermo beak. You don't want an aluminum frame without one. Wood is by nature a thermo break.

Since things change, I can't comment on current quality of various makes.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

a good quality replacement window shouldn't cost over 250 (standard opening) and that is very high... I can get a good quality window for 150 per window.. same features same warranty (it's a local maker)

I install windows I usually get anywhere from 35 - 60.00 for standard size

price difference is based on the interior/ext finish

you might get moisture behind a storm window that could mildew the face of the replacement window

another factor, how is the ext finished as it butts against the window openings..will removing the storm frame leave something with an unfinished look that will require more labor, mo money

Reply to
yeeha