Insulating steam pipes

This is our first winter in a beautiful 200+ year old house. Unfortunately, we've already found that the basement is by far the warmest part of the place! The steam furnace is fairly new (about 5 years), but almost all the steam pipes running through the basement are bare.

Rather than moving the family down to the basement until spring, I'd like to insulate the exposed steam pipes. They're definitely iron (some are rusting), and range about 4-6" in diameter. I made a trip to the box stores and saw several types of insulation with varying prices.

I don't want to assume that expensive is best, so I'd appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks ---

Reply to
njdilettante

bigjim

Find out what size pipes you have. Go to your local plumbing supply. Note: Plumbing supply, not Home Depot. Ask for pipe insulation of the size you need for your pipes. It comes in about 4' lengths and is easily cut as needed, wrapped and taped.

I love steam heat.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'd reccomend asbestos with a plaster jacket.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wouldn't a dust mask and goggles protect you better than a plaster jacket?

RicodJour

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:4733119b$0 $8668$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Clark

Pipe insulation is maybe best and HD doesnt carry it, but I just insulated a few hundred feet with 24" wide 6" thick fiberglass batts paper faced, just tie it on with wire, It was cheap and quick. Check R value of the real pipe insulation, forget bubble wrap its junk. You might order white, no formaldehyde, encased in plastic, that would be the cleanest but its a special order.

Reply to
ransley

If there is no insulation now then Asbestos was likely removed, you might want to have dust samples taken or at least look into it..

Reply to
ransley

Reply to
bigjim

Reflextic has little R value, What is its certified R value, im in dought it has anything close to its advertisement. Ive had fiberglass on pipes for 20 years, since when does Fiber Glass dry out, For value of true R value Fiberglass, then Pipe insulation the reflextic would be last

Reply to
ransley

All I know is IT WORKS!!! Was cheap and easy to work with. If I can comfrtably hold a steam pipe I know its reflecting and/or containing the heat.. R value is meaningless in a situation like this where results are what matter. Aesthetics also play a role as well. I'll take the silver look of reflectix over the half-a**ed look of wall insulation wired over the pipes.

bigjim

Reflectix linear pipe wrap has an R value of 4.0 while owens corning fiberglass pipe insulation has an R value of 5.0 and appears to be far more costly and difficult to work with. Reflectix is the way to go

Reply to
bigjim

Quality pipe insulation will work better and last way longer than that stuff.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

stuff.http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsul/products.asp?product=15>

Reply to
bigjim

stuff.http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsul/products.asp?product=15>

Reflextic site says R4 total and down plays R value, Owens Corning is R5 per inch, I have seen the product 2-3" inches thick, it is a superior product made for the job. I used fiberglass batts in unused basements of 6" thick, that is about R 21. It was just quicker, cheaper and easy to install. I will bet reflextic to have the highest cost per R value.

Reply to
ransley

I dare you to try the two and I bet the reflectix will have the same outer temperature. Who needs 3" of insulation on a steam pipe when

3/8" or less of reflectix will do the same for less $$$.

stuff.http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsul/products.asp?product=15>

Reply to
bigjim

That's what they say about the Q-Ray bracelet.

- Rodger

Reply to
Rodger

The cost of reflextic will be tripple, its overpriced.

Reply to
ransley

Reply to
bigjim

Extra thick around the head. Covers eyes, nose, mouth.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon