1st year apprentices

They might get better exam results as their teacher graded them and they did not have to sit an exam.

But f*ck me they are as thick as pig shit and get worse every year.

Reply to
ARW

I think intolerance of the young is an age thing! :-)

Reply to
Fredxx

If the company doesn't believe exam grades then just make the potential apprentices take a test to establish their level of knowledge and suitability for the apprenticeship.

Reply to
alan_m

I am not so sure. There is an entertaining blog channel on You Tube called 'Laura Farms'

Laura is I think 19 years old, married to her farmer husband, and living near her farmer dad. They work in their family businesses, and boy do they work. I've seen her lift 25kg bales onto a truck, and do serious mechanical repair work.

Anything further from the workshy snowflakes of today's urban populations could be hard to imagine, and she appears to enjoy her life totally.

There are a lot of young people out in the countryside getting on with making lives for themselves and enjoying it. It seems to be the towns that are miserable crime ridden social security sinks. With an Old Labour sort of attitude 'the Company owes me a living, and I will do as little for them as I can get away with and make sure I can't be sacked'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I subscribe to a small facebook group dedicated to a small rural town and the local surrounding area.

This rural utopia is far from being free of crime and anti-social activity.

Reply to
alan_m

I've often wondered how close 'This Country' is to reality .

Reply to
whisky-dave

Can't see Turnip using social meja. Just stays in his house and fumes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Being thick as pig shit yet passing exams ain't mutually exclusive.

I'll say it again. When interviewing potential apprentices, there should be a journeyman present. Far more likely to suss out the decent ones than a boss or HR, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Well I think the crime rate where I am is one of the lowest in the country, especially now the 'traveller' have moved elsewhere.

Places I have had cars nicked were London, London, London (failed) and Brussels

Never had one nicked here. Just lawnmowers and power tools

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They do not know anything, they have not done anything, they have no experience that could guide you to make a decision.

That is so different to a few years ago.

Reply to
ARW

I wonder if word has got around that the work routinely involves early starts, late finishes, and work outdoors and in unheated buildings. The better - or even just average - people looking for an apprenticeship have an awful lot of choices, even if they offer less money later (for a teenager, much later).

Reply to
Robin

Son is now a time served mechanic But when he was at college and was second pick for an apprenticeship he jumped at it. The one who had got picked didn't accept as she "didn't want to get dirty". A person doing pre-apprentice training in motor mechahanics didn't want an apprenticeship as she would get dirty, the mind boggles

Reply to
soup

That sort of training is a great place for a girl to meet *lots* of boys. :)

Reply to
GB

Daughter of a friend went that way, married one of them, but divorced shortly afterwards.

Reply to
charles

I know someone that did librarian studies to meet lots of girls.

And surely I am not the only post on this newsgroup that has done an OU course. Probably a better piss up and shag fest than my stag do.

Reply to
ARW

Trouble is that they are all dirty.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

I remember an application we had for an apprentice (I worked for a car importer) who was clearly destined for great things. I spent an hour with his parents persuading them to let him take the job - they didn't want him to be a grease monkey.

He ended up as the UK wide service manager.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

The "Last chance disco" at the OU summer schools were notorious...

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Not much demand for Reliant Robins though

Reply to
Andrew