Did extension cable

Hi guys I'm needing an extension lead as my old 1 from years back is lookin tired and old. I have plenty 1.5mm & 2.5mm grey twin & earth left over from previous property. We are in a rented property for next 8 months hence don't want permanent fixtures. I'm needing a 5 metre long extension to power max 4 devices namely 2x 55w flo lights. 1x 17w lizards heat mat and 50w cage feeder. I plan on using new 13 amp fused plug on the 2.5mm cable and a new 4 way extension socket on the other end. Any opinions on this been safe,ok,unsafe,dangerous? thanks for help and advice

Reply to
yamman

Well as long as it does not exceed thefuse you put in the socket bar and that is set below the one in the plug. It may not be pretty, but I'd expect it to work. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Use the 1.5mm^2 T&E, it will be much easier to wire into a plug and extension socket and has more than enough current carrying capacity (20A) for the job. You may have difficulty getting the cable into the cord grip on the trailing socket, depending on its design.

(note the lead will only be suitable for mostly "fixed" applications - any significant repeated flexing will eventually fatigue the solid conductors and break it)

Reply to
John Rumm

Non-expert diy view from me. Don't use the solid wire cable, as it is not designed for flexible use, and if you fix it semi-permanently it is likely to create a risk in future if someone uses it for something else. Get 6m of 1.5mm^2 flex and use a 3A fuse in the plug. Mark the extension with a label (to remind yourself) saying "maximum 500W" and route the extension lead as far as possible where no-one will trip over it. This is not the best way to do it, an extension of the fixed wiring following the wiring regulations would be better, but you would then have to go to a lot more trouble, probably.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

TW&E is for permanent installations. An extension lead needs flexible cable - not single core stuff like TW&E.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1

ok if fixed in place and unwired at end of use

1.5mm^2 is rated to over 13A.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Brian Gaff brought next idea :

Apart from the fact that twin and earth is designed only to be used on fixed wiring and tends to break if moved as would a portable extension.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Even more so given the OP states his old one has had a hard life.

BTW, it's usually cheaper to buy a ready made one from the likes of Lidl or any other reliable place. Rather than buy the individual parts and make it yourself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+2 buy some 1.5mm flex
Reply to
ARW

The OP describes a semi-permanent installation some of which is likely to be switched on all the time which is going to use less than 1A. What is not to like about protecting it from currents higher than 3A under fault conditions where it could overheat?

It would also be bad practice to use the semi-permanent extension for other appliances and a little note on the sockets to that effect, and the current limit, would be good.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

too many errors.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Name one!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Last time I looked you can generally buy a ready made extension lead for less than the sum of the parts from a wholesaler. And a lot less than from a shed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well I would use a 5A fuse. But that is not an error just my difference of opinion.

Or is it because I have run out of 3A fuses:-)?

Reply to
ARW