daisy chain extension cords

Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely without power.

I have:

  1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
  2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
  3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at 11:30PM). Just trying to be helpful/neighborly. Theodore

Reply to
Theodore

Theodore-

Try it and see. Do you have a voltmeter? I would hope for at least 108 VAC, which is 120 V minus ten percent. It would help if you could crank the generator to ten percent high.

A small microwave may work if they temporarily unplug the refrigerator.

You might also try parking the generator 100 feet away and using the 12 gage cord to your house.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie
[snip]

One very important appliance which is often forgotten is... the sump pump.

If you and your neighbor have basements with sump pumps, it's a good idea to make sure they've got power...

Reply to
danny burstein

Is it fair to guess that the gas/fuel stations are shut down also? Would an inverter in her vehicle be a practical solution? We had them at work in company pickups to run light loads. I'm thinking of drills and 1/2" impact wrenches.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Understood. The last suggestion is not an option for me. My generator is connected via a 10ft long 240V 3-wire to a transfer switch and powers my house (water pump, fridge, etc). I want to be helpful, but cannot be to my family's detriment.

Reply to
Theodore

Put the 12 ga first of course. You may be able to even do the refrigerator since most new ones take little power. Worth a try to save food..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Have him buy a 250' roll of 10ga Romex. It is legal for "temporary" wiring (a concession to the building industry) If you are interested I could run a voltage drop calc but there are calculators all over the internet. Do it in 2 steps, 100" of #12 and

150 of #16 and add the drop together. For some small loads it will work tho. I ran 2 condos on an extension cord, Fridge, TV and a light or two. They were #12 tho. I had a cube tap at the 1st 100' for one condo and the other end went into mine. He had a 25' 16ga orange cord to the fridge and a 16ga zip cord for the TV and light at the 1st condo.
Reply to
gfretwell

Why? Resistors in series add, no matter what order they are in.

Reply to
gfretwell

Buy enough 12 gauge cord to reach. Say another 100 and 50 foot one. You may want to see if there is a 10 gauge 100 foot cord, but I doubt you would find one already made.

Then you could use a lot more power. If you have a voltmeter, if not buy one of the $ 10 ones and check the voltage at the user end of the cords. Stay above 110 volts and you would be ok.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

remember that is the voltage AT the load, when the load is connected. With no load there will be no voltage drop

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Detriment comes in all degrees, so don't put it that way to your neighbor. Say that you'd have to disconnnect eveything to move the generator and could only reconnect a little bit to your own house.

Reply to
micky
[snip]

I have found one at Lowes.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Will #10 solid wire fit normal ends?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

So, how do you check the voltage when something is connected?

Andy

Reply to
AK

Fretwell mentioned a way to do it. See his post on 8/6/20 at

10:25.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Hmmm .. which "code" would need to be met ? .. for emergency temporary 110 volt extension cords .. .. supplied from backup generator - Good luck with that one ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

It will fit in a commercial grade plug and you can use the handy box method on the other end. Again this is only OK for a temporary deal and OSHA doesn't even like that. It is just a loophole in the NEC.

Reply to
gfretwell

I applaud your generosity ! That said , overcome your altruistic tendencies and DON'T DO IT ! I say this because just as sure as the sun is going to come up tomorrow your neighbor is going to plug in much more than that cord set can handle . A couple of lights and maybe a fan , but any more than that is going to overload that long run of small cord and probably burn up the cords . Not to mention drawing the voltage down to a level that may damage your stuff .

Reply to
Snag

It all depends on how the far end is connected. You could use one of the 3 way splitters and put the voltmeter on one of the 3 taps.

There is a thing called a Kilo-watt meter that reads out the voltage and current. Sells for around $ 20 . It is a special meter that plugs in line with whatever you have and the receptical.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You pull out the plug a tiny bit to fit the probe in the opening. There are other ways too, plugging in a device between that you can check with..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski