Extension lead

Its probably time for a new one, but worth asking... Its a cassette job, rated 4A wound, 6A unwound. I've used it with multi-kW loads for years, ie power tools with limited duty cycle so nothing gets rem otely hot. But its taken to tripping its thermal cutout when its stone cold . Was wondering if there's some practical fix, but there probably isn't. I dont see how to open the thing, but if I do I may just wire over the therma l trip and rely on a plug fuse.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Whilst the trip might well be thermally operated but I would be willing to bet that it is measuring current drawn rather than the temperature of the reel. by the time sufficient heat had been generated by the reel and been conducted to the trip, the cable would be toast.

Could it be that the reel has been dropped a few times which could have upset the bimetal/spring assembly?

Bypassing it and being aware of the heating risk when coiled is possibly OK provided you don't lend it out or let others use it.

Reply to
Bob Minchin