Bleach in a bath

The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with limit success. I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath. I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?
On 19/02/18 20:13, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

No.
Probably. Brian
--
----- -
Brian Gaff wrote:

Which is what I thought. Curses!
On Monday, 19 February 2018 21:42:51 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

What's the bottle made of in which the bleach comes?
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Good point. But there could be different sorts of plastic? I just don't want to fuck the bath up by soaking this strip in it.
On Monday, 19 February 2018 22:20:58 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Bleach bottles are HDPE, which is very chemically inactive. Baths are GRP, I think that's polyester.
NT
On 19/02/18 22:20, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Trust me - everyone cleans their baths in bleach - diluted of course... The only things, outside of weird organic solvents, that damage plastic baths to my knowledge are abrasive cleaners.
On 20/02/2018 09:39, Tim Watts wrote:

I don't, the hard water leaves limescale so a mild acid works better than bleach.
The only thing bleach is useful for on baths is if you need to get rid of mould on the silicone.
dennis@home wrote:

Scrap the old silicone out. All of it. Yeah, I know. Use meths to clean the area. Let dry............. 12 hours. Fill bath half way with water Use decent silicone, not the quid for a tube shite. Apply silicone with the Fugi tool. Not with finger stuck in gob as this introduces bacteria and moisture into the silicone. Let set for 12 hours. Okay, you will stink. But the end result is worth it. I did the above maybe six years ago after two failed repairs not doing it the right way. The silicone is as white as the day I applied it, no mould.
On 20/02/2018 20:42, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I was told that lots of builders have developed cancer of the lip/mouth licking their finger to smooth down silicone.
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:39:05 +0000

Why? I find soap or shampoo on a non-scratch scourer works well enough, apart from the lime deposits under the taps for which acid, not bleach, works well.
The issue here i think is the finish on the bath and how resistant it is to the chemicals. I don't know the current make up of household bleach, but to be honest I've never found it much good to clean plastic, just damage it. the bottle is a particualy sort of plastic, but again, how can we know what it is? I'd not want to try it unless I had a bath other than my main one that did not matter to test it on.
Brian
--
----- -
Not so much damage as stain it or lose the shine. I don't know what chemicals are in the current domestos. The question is what caused the problem in the first place? Brian
Brian Gaff wrote:

Water getting inside the strip, not draining out and going all yuck.
On Monday, 19 February 2018 20:13:44 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

No, have used bleach plenty on plastic bathroom goods.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Taa.
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 22:03:28 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"

Some years ago there was a problem with certain bath cleaners attacking the surface of enameled steel baths, which may be at the back of your mind, but bleach on plastic should be OK.
--

Chris

On 20/02/2018 08:13, Chris Hogg wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised is silly bang did as its quite acidic. However proper enamel should be as resistant as glass.
dennis@home wrote:

I actually do blame silly bang for taking the chrome off my bath tap mixer and the plug hole.