Bleach in a bath

The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with limit success. I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath. I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

No.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Probably. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Which is what I thought. Curses!

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

No, have used bleach plenty on plastic bathroom goods.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Taa.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

What's the bottle made of in which the bleach comes?

Reply to
stvlcnc43

Good point. But there could be different sorts of plastic? I just don't want to f*ck the bath up by soaking this strip in it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Bleach bottles are HDPE, which is very chemically inactive. Baths are GRP, I think that's polyester.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Some years ago there was a problem with certain bath cleaners attacking the surface of enameled steel baths, which may be at the back of your mind, but bleach on plastic should be OK.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Not so much damage as stain it or lose the shine. I don't know what chemicals are in the current domestos. The question is what caused the problem in the first place? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The issue here i think is the finish on the bath and how resistant it is to the chemicals. I don't know the current make up of household bleach, but to be honest I've never found it much good to clean plastic, just damage it. the bottle is a particualy sort of plastic, but again, how can we know what it is? I'd not want to try it unless I had a bath other than my main one that did not matter to test it on.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Trust me - everyone cleans their baths in bleach - diluted of course... The only things, outside of weird organic solvents, that damage plastic baths to my knowledge are abrasive cleaners.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I clean mine with diluted white vinegar spray and an old tooth brush. Works well.

Reply to
curious

Assuming the strip is flexible, could you not curve it into something like a large glass casserole dish and put the bleach in that?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob Minchin wrote in news:p6grcu$ijc$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Remove it! and clean it

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I once tried white vinegar on mould spots on vertical fabric blinds. It did not work. A tooth brush is too fat to fit into the gaps on the strip, I have to use a paint brush.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Good idea, but it is rigid and seems to be going brittle.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Work in progress as I type.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Water getting inside the strip, not draining out and going all yuck.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire