Bleach in a bath

Would one of those hand held steam cleaners work?

Reply to
ARW

I don't, the hard water leaves limescale so a mild acid works better than bleach.

The only thing bleach is useful for on baths is if you need to get rid of mould on the silicone.

Reply to
dennis

I wouldn't be surprised is silly bang did as its quite acidic. However proper enamel should be as resistant as glass.

Reply to
dennis

Scrap the old silicone out. All of it. Yeah, I know. Use meths to clean the area. Let dry............. 12 hours. Fill bath half way with water Use decent silicone, not the quid for a tube s**te. Apply silicone with the Fugi tool. Not with finger stuck in gob as this introduces bacteria and moisture into the silicone. Let set for 12 hours. Okay, you will stink. But the end result is worth it. I did the above maybe six years ago after two failed repairs not doing it the right way. The silicone is as white as the day I applied it, no mould.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I have one, cost me nearly 100 quid. I bought it to clean the oven. Took oven out of kitchen into the back garden. West wing, near the plastic butterflies. The butterflies are all nearly knackerd. It was utterly useless, but was a good idea at the time. I thought I'd also use it to clean the patio windows, then I thought twice about this. Somebody gave me a hand held one. I've not even tried it, you can have it you want it.

44 years ago I worked for a commercial catering outfit. They sold used stuff. They had these big blasters that did clean the grease out of ovens. I have used plenty of Domestos on the splash strip and it is now very clean.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I actually do blame silly bang for taking the chrome off my bath tap mixer and the plug hole.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Why? I find soap or shampoo on a non-scratch scourer works well enough, apart from the lime deposits under the taps for which acid, not bleach, works well.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Could be. Many years ago BNFL did a trial to compare "domestic" cleaners with expensive "industrial" decontamination products like Decon 90, and I understand that Cillit Bang came out the best.

Reply to
newshound

Vitreous enamel can be made resistant to acid or alkali, but not both. Most vitreous enamel is made resistant to acids, but baths have to be made resistant to alkali so that soap doesn't damage the finish. Consequently, vitreous enamel baths are damaged by acids. The effect is to take off the very high gloss shine, but you might only notice this on a new bath which still has a very high gloss shine, and then only if you use acid in patches on it. In bad cases of repeated or strong exposure, the surface is even left rough, which makes it attract dirt and harder to clean, and more likely to have even more acids used on it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I was told that lots of builders have developed cancer of the lip/mouth licking their finger to smooth down silicone.

Reply to
GB

It has always been rigid. As it has a small split on the angled splash bit, perhaps I should look to replace it. I'll take a look on ebay.

Taa.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Which one are you offering me?

Your post makes little sense as it seems you paid £100 for a product that did not work to your satisfaction and then took an identical product for free

Reply to
ARW

Both if you want to come and get them.

Free is free. I do not refuse free stuff. My plastic butterflies are falling off the fence. Still, they have done very well over the years.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

The cat shit is on it's way

Reply to