Wireless Keyboard Q

Not very D-I-Y ... but there are some knowledgeable people here.

I recently bought a Samsung Smart TV - 46ES6800 ......... having struggled using remote to drive for example Web interface, realise I need to get a wireless keyboard with built in mouse.

Will any wireless keyboard work ... assume that you use a dongle which plugs into back of TV, into one of the USB ports.

If anybody can recommend a good Wireless keyboard with mouse ... please do so.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I use a logitech one and it's fine. No problems, although the mouse is quite heavy if you move it around much.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Rick Hughes :

I'd be surprised if it worked. Some USB sockets are provided simply for reading storage media and not for other purposes associated with computers. I'd expect those on a TV to come into that category.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I know its a so called smart tv, but is it really smart enough to have the software included to accept a usb wireless dongle?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

With the right dongle, yes. They typically look like a keyboard and mouse to the TV/PC hardware and the dongle does all the wireless stuff and hides this from the TV. I have an old one which has two of the old IBM PS2 (small DIN) connectors connected to a box which does the wireless to the mouse and keyboard. I can even plug this, via a DIN/USB adaptor, into the WII or PS3 and they just see a USB keyboard and mouse.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Besides, a lot of TVs are now Linux boxes in disguise ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

They're often designed specifically to support keyboards so they can they add a basic (or better) web browser too. As others have indicated, many TVs are now Linux based so it's easy.

Interestingly, using Linux means that the software, in some form, has to be made freely available. But I'm not aware of any "TV hackers" creating their own-brew TV software - no doubt someone will be along soon to tell me about them!

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

A bit thin on the ground so far ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I use a wireless keyboard with a built-in track-ball, much neater and easier than a separate mouse IMHO.

Reply to
tinnews

If you Google "Samsung Smart TV - 46ES6800" and "keyboard" there are links to various forms where this or similar questions or have cropped up before.

According to various posts the following may or may not be true.

  1. If this particular model accepts a keyboard it will state as much in the manual.
  2. Wireless USB ports are often installed simply to pick up data streams for showing on the TV.
  3. Some Samsung models may have this feature but not all do. If there's a higher price point in this range i.e "similar models" but costing £100 - £200 more that may be such an additional feature.
  4. Samsung have produced dedicated keyboards for some models in the past.

michael adams

michael adams

In message , Rick Hughes writes

I've got a Keysonic wireless keyboard with trackpad which I use with a htpc, this or something very similar:

Fairly light and compact, 2.4 ghz wireless, so has a better range than some of the other wireless keyboard (I have a cheaper type that won't work across the room on the sofa (4-5 m). Though I'd like an capslock/numlock indicator, as that can get turn on and then you've no idea until you can't login or you type gibberish

I don't know about compatibility with your TV, but the keyboard works at the bios level, so it's as much chance as anything else working I guess

Reply to
chris French

Most logitech keyboards seem to have printed on characters - rather than engraved - which wear off quickly. And looks tatty if nothing else. Not covered by their 5 year 'warranty' as it's 'fair wear and tear'. In other words the warranty only applies if you don't use the thing...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most keyboards have transfers these days, every single one I looked at in PC World and Maplin a while back were transfers.

That seems to depend on the user. They don't wear off for me but they do for the other half.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ditto. I believe that hand creams can be responsible.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

SWMBO's keyboard is 20 years old, in daily use. But then it's a Model M...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I can believe that. My laptop one is engraved, though.

This Acorn keyboard is as good as the day it was bought getting on for 20 years ago - it's one of the old clunky ones. And being in the workshop, needs a good scrub quite often. The other one is one of those posh multi function 'Windows' wireless ones and all the most commonly used keys are bare. And it doesn't get used with dirty hands.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My laptop's keyboard has that problem. I make replacement legends with a Dymo label printer and stick them onto the keys then paint over them with several coats of nail varnish, to try to stop the edges of the tapes from lifting. They normally last 12-18 months before needing replaced.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I have a Microsoft Ergonomic kybd .. been using daily (home worker) for at least 3 years ... all keys are still fine ... assume Microsoft have the printing to a better spec

Reply to
Rick Hughes

the answer to that is yes ... the kybd and dongle do the hardwork ... so all that arrives on USB port is the same as if I plugged in a wired USB kybd. I tried that and it works fine.

What si quite good is that the TV offers you apps to install (free) and these are same as the apps of phones ... so BBCiPLayer, youtube plyaer etc. ... look & works as normal ... just much faster.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

As per my original Post ... care to tell what model .... sounds like what I need.

Reply to
Rick Hughes