Changing "File View" Defaults in Windows 2000

ALSO Choose Remember each folder's view settings THEN Close Explorer to memorise the settings. THEN Relaunch it to check the results. You may find the window dimensions have changed, and if required you can now drag them again to what they should be and exit again. This time both the column layour and the window dimensions should be remembered.

Optionally, you can then unselect Remember each folder's view settings, so that in future it will always come up as first remembered.

ISTR, there is also a relevant Group Policy Setting, but can't seem to find it ATM.

Eh?

Reply to
Java Jive

I need Windows Explorer to show details. When I turn off the PC, next time I turn it on, it is automatically reset to showing icons. Anyone know a way to change the default view so that I can avoid these resetting steps each time?

Right now, I'm doing it manually like this....Open Windows Explorer. Click on VIEW > DETAILS. Then click on TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW (tab) > LIKE CURRENT FOLDER > YES > OK.

Thanks.

Bob

PS - Yes, I know AHR is not a computer group, but you guys know every stinking thing under the sun! More or less... LOL!!!

Reply to
Guv Bob

If you don't get it, see here:

I'm not sure about 2000, but I'm guessing it's the same as XP. XP never worked right in the first place. There's a full explanation at the link. It's a utility for repairing XP folder settings so that Explorer will obey your choice and show not only the view but also the folder window size that you prefer.

Right now, I'm doing it manually like this....Open Windows Explorer. Click on VIEW > DETAILS. Then click on TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW (tab) > LIKE CURRENT FOLDER > YES > OK.

Thanks.

Bob

PS - Yes, I know AHR is not a computer group, but you guys know every stinking thing under the sun! More or less... LOL!!!

Reply to
Mayayana

When I turn off the PC, next time I turn it on, it is automatically reset to showing icons. Anyone know a way to change the default view so that I can avoid these resetting steps each time?

Open Windows Explorer. Click on VIEW > DETAILS. Then click on TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW (tab) > LIKE CURRENT FOLDER > YES > OK.

you guys know every stinking thing under the sun! More or less... LOL!!!

With win explorer open, change to details, like you like.

Up top: click file, and then folder options. Click the view tab. In the upper left, click "apply to all folders".

See if that helps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Java Jive

That's what I'm doing now. Windows stay as set until I turn the power off and on again and it reverts to the icons.

Reply to
Guv Bob