LPT Port on a Print Server - setting

I know this can be done, I have done it before, but I have forgotten the IP setting string for doing it when configuring a printer...
I have a print server (router with USB ports for USB printers). My USB connected printer shows as being LPT1 on the print servers config page.
The print server's IP is 10.131.97.175. Using Win10, I can add a printer via TCP/IP, but from memory I need to enter the IP as 10.131.97.175 ????, Where the ???? represents the fact that it is a LPT on that IP. Anyone know please?
Maybe something like 10.131.97.175 -LPT1 or 10.131.97.175/LPT1 or 10.131.97.175-LPT1
On 23/03/2017 09:59, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Usually on win10 you go to add printer, choose IP and type in the IP address and it finds it itself.
dennis@home formulated the question :

I tried that and it didn't find it, but the print server shows it as there.
On 23/03/17 09:59, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Depends on the print server. Jet direct style is 9100-9103, port 631 for CUPS style IPP and 515 for LPD style
Id start with 10.131.97.17:9100 and see if that works
On 23/03/2017 09:59, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Easiest way is usually to install the printer as a local one, and then in the configuration select TCP/IP port as the connection method and specify just the address.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 23/03/17 09:59, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Not enough info. This mapping functionality sounds custom to the config page. Is there a help link/button?
What is it? There could be a manual on line.
--
Adrian C

Adrian Caspersz expressed precisely :

The printer is an old Samsung CLP-300 colour laser USB printer.
That plugs into one of two USB ports on the print server, which is an old Netgear WGPS606, on an IP of 10.131.97.175.
I have two other laser printers - an HP4000n 10.131.97.181 and an HP colour 2600n 10.131.97.182, both with a network interfaces plugged into the 606 and both working fine. Or rather the 2600n has some toner issues, so it would be good to get the Sansung working.
I have in the past had the CLP-300 working via that 606, but on an ancient WinXP system.
On 23/03/17 15:38, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yup, there is a manual for that.
--
Adrian C

Adrian Caspersz expressed precisely :

..and the manual, of which I already had a copy, makes a fine job of describing the setting up of the router, but gives no clues at all about how to set up the PC to print to it and even if it did, would only cover up to WinXP.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

That's OK, network printer configuring ports in the Windows Print Manager have barely changed since NT 3.1, either use lpr (where you need to know the queue name, in your case possibly lpt1) or direct to a TCP port (usually 9100) of whatever IP address the router has.
On 23/03/17 17:44, Andy Burns wrote:

L1 and L2
--
Adrian C

Adrian Caspersz has brought this to us :

LPR and setting the queue to L1 worked fine, thanks all..
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 18:31:13 +0000, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

The queue name is not dictated by Windows, but by the porint server.
On 23/03/17 17:22, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

https://kb.netgear.com/47/How-to-manually-add-a-print-server-port?cid=wmt_netgear_organic
Just adapt the method for Windows 10, the eventual dialogue for LPR settings are the same. Just need to drive to them through the wall of "Windows 10 settings" that MS have stuck in to obfuscate and confuse.
There was nothing wrong with 'control panel'...
--
Adrian C

On 23/03/2017 19:12, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

There is nothing wrong with typing control panel into cortana and using it if you want to.
dennis@home wrote:

Right click start (or type Win-X)and choose control panel.
On 23/03/2017 21:06, Andy Burns wrote:

Neither of which have control panel listed. They may have had on previous builds but not this one.
On 23/03/2017 21:17, dennis@home wrote:

Even if you right click on the start button?
--
Cheers,

John.
On 24/03/2017 11:30, John Rumm wrote:

Even if you right click the button.
Version 1703 build 15058.0
I never used to access it by those methods so I have no idea when it changed.
On 24/03/17 15:55, dennis@home wrote:

They want to drive you to use settings.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/control-panel-missing-from-windows-start-context/46704070-2752-4ce9-8c42-1c38031c69e7
BTW The next general release 'creators update' reorganises "settings" and throws even more toys in the way of work.
--
Adrian C