LPT Port on a Print Server - setting

I know this can be done, I have done it before, but I have forgotten the IP setting string for doing it when configuring a printer...

I have a print server (router with USB ports for USB printers). My USB connected printer shows as being LPT1 on the print servers config page.

The print server's IP is 10.131.97.175. Using Win10, I can add a printer via TCP/IP, but from memory I need to enter the IP as

10.131.97.175 ????, Where the ???? represents the fact that it is a LPT on that IP. Anyone know please?

Maybe something like 10.131.97.175 -LPT1 or 10.131.97.175/LPT1 or

10.131.97.175-LPT1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Usually on win10 you go to add printer, choose IP and type in the IP address and it finds it itself.

Reply to
dennis

I tried that and it didn't find it, but the print server shows it as there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Depends on the print server. Jet direct style is 9100-9103, port 631 for CUPS style IPP and 515 for LPD style

Id start with 10.131.97.17:9100 and see if that works

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Easiest way is usually to install the printer as a local one, and then in the configuration select TCP/IP port as the connection method and specify just the address.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not enough info. This mapping functionality sounds custom to the config page. Is there a help link/button?

What is it? There could be a manual on line.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

The usual syntax for LPD connections is IPaddress/name, so in your case:

10.131.97.125/LPT1

But that;'s if you set up an LPD-style port (which I always do on Windows).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Adrian Caspersz expressed precisely :

The printer is an old Samsung CLP-300 colour laser USB printer.

That plugs into one of two USB ports on the print server, which is an old Netgear WGPS606, on an IP of 10.131.97.175.

I have two other laser printers - an HP4000n 10.131.97.181 and an HP colour 2600n 10.131.97.182, both with a network interfaces plugged into the 606 and both working fine. Or rather the 2600n has some toner issues, so it would be good to get the Sansung working.

I have in the past had the CLP-300 working via that 606, but on an ancient WinXP system.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yup, there is a manual for that.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Adrian Caspersz expressed precisely :

..and the manual, of which I already had a copy, makes a fine job of describing the setting up of the router, but gives no clues at all about how to set up the PC to print to it and even if it did, would only cover up to WinXP.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That's OK, network printer configuring ports in the Windows Print Manager have barely changed since NT 3.1, either use lpr (where you need to know the queue name, in your case possibly lpt1) or direct to a TCP port (usually 9100) of whatever IP address the router has.

Reply to
Andy Burns

L1 and L2

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

LPR and setting the queue to L1 worked fine, thanks all..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just adapt the method for Windows 10, the eventual dialogue for LPR settings are the same. Just need to drive to them through the wall of "Windows 10 settings" that MS have stuck in to obfuscate and confuse.

There was nothing wrong with 'control panel'...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

The queue name is not dictated by Windows, but by the porint server.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There is nothing wrong with typing control panel into cortana and using it if you want to.

Reply to
dennis

Right click start (or type Win-X)and choose control panel.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Neither of which have control panel listed. They may have had on previous builds but not this one.

Reply to
dennis

Yes - that works perfectly well. It's just a pain to have to do that instead of being able to find the option in the place where it's been on the start menu in previous versions of Windows.

I tend to use Control Panel instead of the Win 10 Settings for most things in Win 10 if I can, because you can do more: Win 10 has all the less mainstream options removed from most of the Settings apps.

I agree: there was nothing wrong with Control Panel (especially when you turned the View By: Category option off and replaced it with View By: Large Icons so you don't have try to guess which category a particular app will be found under.

I stand by my assertion, formed when I first encountered Win 8 and Win 10, that the only way to make them usable is:

- install Classic Shell to give a proper start menu

- enable Quick Launch and turn off Combine Taskbar Buttons so as to keep the icons that represent apps that are actually running completely separate from the shortcuts to apps that you commonly use but which may not currently be running

I find it intensely frustrating to use my wife's laptop because she likes her taskbar to auto-hide after a few seconds, whereas I feel lost without it being visible all the time. She also prefers to enable the "tapping" behaviour on the touchpad whereas I turn that OFF because I very often end up inadvertently left-clicking on some random part of the screen while moving the cursor from one side of the screen to the other which often takes several left-to-right swipes of the touchpad. If I want to left-click, I'll press button which is separate from the movement of the mouse pointer. But those are personal preferences.

Reply to
NY

???

You go to settings and click on devices and printers click on add printer and follow the instructions. It couldn't be simpler.

I used to use that but now I use the win10 start as its actually better.

I don't, I find the blue underline enough to see which apps are running.

They are also personal to you if you use different logins.

Reply to
dennis