Protecting glazing bars on sash window.

I've got several sash windows divided into multiple pane with glazing bars. The problem is they have rotating catches, which if clumsily positioned act as a plane and shear off the top few mm of any glazing bar they encounter.
<http://franchises.theenglishglasshouse.co.uk/timberwindows/files/Sash- window-brushed-sashcatch-male.jpg>
One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would bounce off instead.
Comments?
--
Roland Perry

They are quite loose rotationally, and people knock them. In any event, I can't educate every single window-opening person to be right 100% of the time, and it only takes on bump every 5yrs to destroy the look of the glazing bar.
[ps I just won a side bet that the first response would be like that]
--
Roland Perry

So obviously impractical I already discounted it years ago.

Expensive.

Need to be opened.

Nope. Now (spring repainting season) is the time to do *something*.
--
Roland Perry

That won't stop people rotating them anyway.
--
Roland Perry

You can get spring-loaded screw type sash catches, eg http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/sash-window-fasteners/locking-brighton-sash-fastener-original-pattern.html
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)

At ?200 a sash, that's well, err, out of the window.
--
Roland Perry

On 23/03/2017 09:52, Roland Perry wrote:

You might want to avoid "london" prices!
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/window_and_joinery_hardware/vertical_sash_window_hardware/2530/locking_screw_pattern_fastener/426493
or if you don't need the screw bit:
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/window_and_joinery_hardware/vertical_sash_window_hardware/803/14mm_narrow_locking_fastener/872708
--
Cheers,

John.
remarked:

I wonder why they show the further part almost vertical, when it would need to be fixed horizontal? And of course, when you close the window if the screw part isn't exactly vertical it'll take off a bit of external glazing bar on the outside of the lower window this time.

Those are the ones I have now, where the crescent bit planes off chunks of the inside of the upper window's glazing bars if you aren't careful.
--
Roland Perry

On Thursday, 23 March 2017 12:07:04 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

3
-fastener-original-pattern.html

But the original link said they were for Brighton sash windows not London ; -)

ertical_sash_window_hardware/2530/locking_screw_pattern_fastener/426493

ertical_sash_window_hardware/803/14mm_narrow_locking_fastener/872708

John Rumm wrote:

Ones touched by the ugly stick are cheaper
<http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/window_and_joinery_hardware/vertical_sash_window_hardware/12758/budget_screw_pattern_sash_fastener/206400
On Thursday, 23 March 2017 15:03:40 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

/vertical_sash_window_hardware/2530/locking_screw_pattern_fastener/426493

vertical_sash_window_hardware/12758/budget_screw_pattern_sash_fastener/2064 00>
Friend just brought some from here.
https://www.mightonproducts.com/products/sash-window-hardware/sash-fastener s
remarked:

Those are the type I want to try to prevent from smashing up my glazing bars.
--
Roland Perry

Er, merely an example.
https://www.gjohns.co.uk/spring-loaded-sash-window-fastener-brighton-pattern-satin-chrome.html
better? You do have to make sure the spring loaded part is mounted far enough from the glass that it doesn’t smash the window when released :-P
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk

On 23/03/17 08:37, Roland Perry wrote:

Replace the Fitch catch with a Brighton Catch

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

The "gun barrel" part is going to end up hinging so it is pointing upwards, then travelling downwards with the window frame to which it is attached.
What will prevent it bumping on the exterior glazing bars of the lower window on the way down, and taking chunks out of them on the way back up?
The window frames aren't deep enough to rotate the "gun barrel" a whole 180 degrees to point towards the garden.
--
Roland Perry

On 24/03/17 07:41, Roland Perry wrote:

They are (in my experience) sprung so the screw part pops upright when released.
--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

OK, I might get one to experiment with.
--
Roland Perry

On 23/03/2017 08:37, Roland Perry wrote:

knock in a nail to act as an end stop.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Then the window would only half-open.