Arduino breadboards

has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What crimp connectors are insertable?

Reply to
Capitol

I was under the impression all breadboard were solderless. and not sure what you mean by what crimp connectors are insertable ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

FAKE Solderless Breadboards - Julian Ilett

Adrian Caspersz

ebay... the next video was bigclive again bad boards via ebay. Our standard breadboards we buy :-

we find the 4mm terminal posts are useful as it stops (well in theory) students using croc clips to connect to leads going to scopes, sig. gens and PSUs shorting out.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You can buy crimped leads to insert into the breadboard holes, I want to buy the crimpable plugs. The pin size is 0,5?mm I guess. Amazon sells lots of leads for these breadboards.

Reply to
Capitol

We buy the leads ready made.

75-34-0673

tml there's M-F and F-F

ribbons are good for LCDs and processors as you can keep all the lines toge ther.

Some ribbon cables are more bendable than others. the ones from CC above were best but £4 each

so we went to amazon sometimes you can get them for £1.10

s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lots of suppliers for these, when we looked into buying the crimps and crim p tools it was just too expensive the crimp tool was £200, you can ge t cheaper ones but we needed something solid and relaible if we're handing it out to 20-50 students we'd also need at least 5, so we didn't bother. We can count the leads as disposable too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Most of them are easily overstretched ie wont grip a fine wire after a maximum size wire has been inserted. The ones I have will take up to a standard wirewrap pin.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I'm looking for crimpable, wire wrap needs special wire, I've 0.5mm csa copper.

Reply to
Capitol

I used wire wrap pins as a widely known example of the size that the bread boards will accept (and be damaged by)

To terminate stranded wire. I use 7/0.2 stripped, twisted and tinned with the minimum of solder to stiffen. That fits breadboards well.

For thicker wire 16/0.2 which is 0.5mm2 I would solder an offcut of resistor lead on the end.

But why use 0.5mm2 that has far higher current rating than the breadboard or indeed any part of the Arduino can withstand?

Once a design has been developed I build it onto proper prototype shields which are soldered and rugged. They cost £1.20 from chinese ebay sellers and include a piece of solderless prototype board for the next project.

Bob Minchin

0,5mm2 is the wire used for the A/V network.
Reply to
Capitol

In that case, the definition of a breadboard has changed in the last twenty years. It was about that long ago when I bought this, It ha been used for many projects It is currently a System A video/audio modulator.

Any technique that connects components together in a rough and ready way is (or maybe was) called breadboarding, including using an actual breadboard.

I do use those plastic solderless breadboards for digital stuff like Atmel microcontroller chips, but you couldn't build something like my modulator on one.

Reply to
Graham.

We use that but I recommened only using this method for leads that need to be flexable. For prototype wiring we use 1/0.6 so single core insulated wi re for breadboards. If we want to crimp either these 1/0.6 or the 7/0.2 we use these

of-100-22-0836 Note that these crimps are 4p each.

the tool. £25

5-0262

The crimps get inserted into these molex connectors

which get put onto

which can be soldered to stripboard or used in protoboards. So you can see why DIYing our own leads is far more expensive than buying i n ready made.

The is the thickest wire we use difficult to crimp with the above but is po ssble to do with care. But I don't reccomend using this for protoboards.

Because sometimes you need higher power to drive stepper motors/ servos an d the like, and breadboards can go up to 3 amps. Stripboard can go up to 6 amps according to the specs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well it has when talking about electronics (although we also use the4 term protoboard), but if you search for breadboard on the argos site you'd get what you want, but you don't cause I just tried you get wallpaper.

When I first did this and tried a breadboard I tried to push drawing pins into a breadboard Wasntl; bread boards made from hardwood) it was very difficult so we used fibre board at school. Then tag board came along the 0.15" veroboard. Then we had S-Decs which were solderless.

Reply to
whisky-dave

We try to use the term protoboarding now, which is another way of saying build the circuit for testing & design purposes ONLY. It would not be seen as a final product.

Why not ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

How do you stop these prototypes hooting with no ground plane and long leads - or is that no problem with logic circuits?

Reply to
mechanic

I saw actual breadboards in use at Marconi when I interviewed there once. Taking the term too literally?

Reply to
mechanic

Not if you were applying for a job in the canteen, no.

michael adams

michael adams

It didnl't look like there was much of a ground plane on the circuit shown.

and

Long lead can be a bigger problem that;s when you use decoupling capacitors and sometime sother circiity on those lines.

Reply to
whisky-dave