Windows 10 license pricing

I just assembled a new PC, for the first time in years to replace a "dog" of a PC I use as a backup in case of failure of my main PC. All very easy these days and quite inexpensive.

I made a W10 installer USB from a Microsoft download. Worked a charm, and then yesterday the "activate your Windows" nagging started.

I had anticipated transplanting the license from the old PC, but then stumbled across an eBay seller with licenses for £2.68.

At that price nothing to lose in trying so I purchased one, and it works.

Can it really be legit at that price?

Vortex12

Might well be if the guy sellng them has taken them from scrapped PCs or PCs now running Linux.

Its a fair price anway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt it.

Most windows licences don't allow transfer from one PC to another (unless you purchased a 'retail' licence) and the licence gets tied to hardware specific data on microsoft's servers (MAC address, serial numbers, amount of memory etc)

You get away with it, or it might stop working later ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

With XP, Microsoft would block license numbers when it saw they had been cloned.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you open Windows Explorer, and left-click on 'Help', a short drop-down menu offers you the option to see if your copy of Windows is legal. How reliable that is, I don't know, but it only takes a couple of seconds to try it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message , Chris Hogg writes

Tried that. After I had discovered where Explorer is hidden. My system came up with *we are sorry. The page you requested cannot be found* .

Re-furbished W7 box.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Windows gets more like Linux every day :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Browsers behave alike on all platforms...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It wasn't the browser, it was the out of date documentation.

Even yesterday, working on a current project (very very current), the

*official* documentation is still referring to features that were removed 3 months ago.

Which is frustrating. But nowhere near as frustrating as Googling the issue, and finding my same question being answered by 30 people all referring me (with clickly links) to the outdated documentation.

Not that I have used an MS product for a while. But when I did, between their online libraries and the entire MDSN on DVD, the documentation was pretty robust.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

This is kind of a non-sequitur, isn't it? WE is always open, like Finder on the Mac.

It's not hidden anywhere. If you can see the desktop, you can see WE.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater explained on 11/02/2018 :

I cannot find it, where is it hidden? I even tried a search and that only mentioned references to it on web sites.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Technically yes, but ...

Press the windows key and the letter E.

This brings up the 'File Explorer' on W10 which is probably what is wanted.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Explorer is what provides the desktop. On my W7 system, right click (well, for most people) on the Windows orb.

But just open any folder and select Help. That should show a suitable menu item. In my case, after a lot of faffing around, it gave a 404 at the Microsoft site!

Reply to
Bob Eager

no, of course not!

Reply to
John Rumm

Adrian Caspersz explained on 11/02/2018 :

Had it have been called File Explorer earlier - I have used it from first installing W10.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not even for free. All Windows versions are loaded with weapons grade spyware.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I don't find about.

Reply to
Martin

In message , Tim Streater writes

I'm a farmer and not a geek! It is tucked away in the accessories program list.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Martin formulated on Sunday :

Load 'File Explorer' Right click the File tab, on the left of the panel which appears, hover on the Help, which should bring up a panel on the right with 'About Windows' in it. Click on the 'About Windows' and it will show who it is registered to.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

First time that I did this I clicked on "Is this copy of Windows legal". It opened the browser and set off for Megaflab to find out - closed browser pdq! Under "About Windows" it says that it's licensed to me!

Reply to
PeterC