Windows 10 - installing drivers

This is a continuation of the transferring video tape to PC, in that I now have the device, which comes with various cables, installation CD and dire warnings to download and install drivers BEFORE plugging in the new USB device.

Driver downloaded, and this is the dim question bit, where do I install the driver, or does W10 just know what to do with it? Normally, I would use Device Manager, but in this case, Windows does not yet know the device exists.

I must be missing something obvious ...

Reply to
Graeme

Well normally it works in one of two ways. Either you install the drivers that are supplied, then when you connect up the device it finds them and puts them where it wants them, or it loads default drivers when you plug it in, which may or may not work, and if they don't, you need to load the cd or whatever and then ask the system to update the drivers and keep your fingers crossed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Did you get the startech one?

IME the direr warnings are generally overstated.

just run the setup.exe and take the defaults

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or just double click on the driver file. Win 10 recogises some types of files as drivers.

See also

similar instructions on the web.

Reply to
alan_m

If the computer is connected to the Internet W10 will quite likely just find the driver it needs when the device is connected. Googling for "Windows 10 driver install" may help you.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I failed (probably) and got a cheaper one. August VGB100

Now reached the stage where I can see it in Device Manager under 'Sound, Video and game Controllers', without a yellow warning triangle. Drivers installed and 'This device is working properly'.

The device came with ArcSoft ShowBiz, so will have a play with that tomorrow.

Reply to
Graeme

You should be ok, but if not there's an install video on youtube

three thngs there instructions say

1) install drivers before connecting device, what else is PnP supposed to be for? 2) disable antivirus before installing their software 3) run the video editor "as administrator"

none are very confidence inspiring for well produced software ....

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm flummoxed. Looking at Device Manager, I can see the device, which is shown as working, with current drivers installed, yet I cannot 'see' it with software - have tried the supplied Arcsoft, and Windows Movie Maker and a freeware prog, NCH Golden Videos. Nothing.

I try with the camera on playback, two cables attached. One S-Video and the other with a 4 way mini jack at the camera end and three RCA phonos at the other (red, yellow and white), all connected to the device which is USB2, plugged into laptop USB2 socket. Laptop is Lenovo, running W10

32 bit. The camera and cable must be OK, as I can play back via a TV, using a SCART adaptor.

All this for 54 minutes of video.

Reply to
Graeme

Have you turned off access under the settings/privacy/camera section?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Brilliant! Thank you Andy. It would never have occurred to me, to look there. I just assumed that referred to the internal laptop camera, not an external device. Ancient video now successfully captured. Well, the first 5 minutes, anyway.

Reply to
Graeme