feckin' windows 10

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

I once had something similar (not a W10 update). The mouse was cordless and the dongle was in an additional USB port rather than the main one. It turned out the additional port was not recognised at the start and moving it to the 'main' port instead resolved the problem.

Reply to
Scott

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions of security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable for around an hour with update processes working in the background.

Reply to
alan_m

Probably.

It's bound to have done.

Did it?

No, like anything, they are generally easy if you know what you are doing.

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

Reply to
Scott

Not defaulted back to the touchpad has it?

Reply to
JohnP

what touchpad ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

not me

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

No, the thing Jim is seeing, has happened before. Many releases of Windows 10 have had the problem.

I've had different mice on the Test Machine and the serial (RS232) mouse always worked. Occasionally one or both USB mice would disappear.

This used to be traceable, to leaving your "allow Windows Update to mess up your drivers" tick box. If stuff like that is unticked, there's less trouble afoot.

(Picture)

But I don't have a particularly magical method of restoring mouse. Not a "surgical" method. The mouse is broken, and not everyone has an extra mouse to plug in and try and tip things upright.

Jim would not like the other methods I have in mind.

*******

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Thanks for clarifying that :-)

Reply to
Scott

What Win10 release did you update ?. 1909 or the 2004 'upgrade'?

Reply to
Andrew

got a ps2 moose and socket ? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

how would I know the ferkin' thing is always updating this is the first one that has caused trouble for a while.....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

I'm nice....must be tim hates me...tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

no wait a minute that is why I'm using a USB moose the PS2 socked don't work....bugger

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

You set your PC to remind you that updates are available and you choose to install them.

My Windows Update page says "Feature update to Win 10 release 2004, blah blah , click here to download and install"

Reply to
Andrew

winver

is the command to use to determine "version.patchlevel" .

WINVER Year/Month

10240.xxx 1507 10586.xxx 1511 14393.xxx 1607 15063.xxx 1703 16299.xxx 1709 17134.xxx 1803 17763.xxx 1809 18362.xxx 1903 18363.xxx 1909 19041.xxx 2004
Reply to
Paul

In December 2019 I stopped all updates and telemetry from Microsoft.

Reply to
jon

Just had my first install of 2004 on an Acer laptop, which is now running like treacle. Installs paused on all other machines while I see if that recovers, or whether I need to do a roll-back.

Reply to
newshound

2004? Easily the worst effect on subsequent performance that I have seen.
Reply to
newshound