feckin' windows 10

Cool. ;-)

I can / so use SSD now, especially for stuff that is supposed to run headless and do so mainly though MobaXterm as it allows GUI manipulation of lots of things that I couldn't do easily from the CLI. I think I also had a GUI SSH terminal (XWindow?) once but haven't since and do know what you would need to do so? ;-(

Hmmm ... ;-)

Agreed.

Yup, been there many times. ;-(

I am getting better at Googling / selecting that information that is most likely to be directly relevant to my installed distro / DE.

I copy and paste something from a walkthrough (that was supposed to be absolute / complete) and get an error message that takes me ever further down the rabbit hole.

As I mentioned, it is getting better with the off 'This is broken, run this command to fix it ...' will often do the trick (whatever it did etc).

All that said, I do find myself using the CLI more these days, dmesg (firmware issues on the TV tuners), lshw/usb, sudo apt-get install and a few others. I even used the CLI to copy a file (because I couldn't seem to get the right permissions with the GUI, even though I was the admin ... ?).

sudo service tvheadend stop / start / restart ... and the latest, 'top' (is it, looking at usage when streaming TV / video etc).

Learning how to re-instate features I found handy and they removed like being able to open a folder via the GUI as Admin (or you can't then create / edit a file in there).

It's funny, I was fairly competent in MSDOS but as you said, at least the file structure was pretty consistent. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The one that calculates tide times for anywhere in the world, is still in working order in a basement in Liverpool. Occasionally cranked up for a TV crew or demo. 'Updates' are a bit of oiling now and then to keep the pulley wheels running free.

Reply to
Andrew

Are American cars an acceptable consumer item ?

Shouldn't all cars have a chauffeur to drive and fix it ?.

Reply to
Andrew

He said Win10 is getting bloated, Linux is almost as bad but ChromeOS might be suitable.

Reply to
Andrew

yes

no

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Good lord no. One doesn't want one's chauffer getting his hands or suit all oily maintaining one's car. Light wipe over the body work with a damp cloth whilst waiting for you, outside, at most. One has one's mechanic to do all the nasty oily messy stuff.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Actually (and for a change), you do actually have sort of a point.

Whilst most desktop OS's have evolved and generally improved, they sometimes still can't fully fix themselves.

The problem though is some people like to be able to change / modify stuff, and that brings in 'options' and settings, changing some (or them getting changed by accident), can render the solution useless.

So the nearest to what it sounds like you need is a tablet of some sort. Whilst you can still screw them up (as a novice might view it, like my 90year old Mum turning the WiFi off on her iPad), you can't so easily do so by say, just turning them off the wrong way.

Or Boot Linux from a DVD and then you can't break anything. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

wish I had a mechanic ...

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

that is the tank done...tried the wife's cordless moose....not working....doesn't look good for me....hate bloody computers

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Have you tried switching it off and on again ?. :-)

I mean properly OFF and wait a few minutes.

Reply to
Andrew

Get your wife a boiler suit and a Haynes manual ?

Reply to
Andrew

she has one she had it on today replacing the fuel tank

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

yip

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

don't think the bloody keyboard is working either...what can I do now ?????

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

There is a troubleshooter.

But it's the usual problem. How do you use a Troubleshooter, when all your HID devices are busted ?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I keep a PS2 keyboard plugged all the time even though I use a USB2 keyboard and rodent. PS2 one always works. Nice trusty HP/DEC/Digital LK 2

Reply to
Andrew

Sorry, had to slide it out from behind the tower case ...

LK450 with special keys for HP/Digital DEC forms applications. Nice solid key action.

Reply to
Andrew

that is what I thought but a ps2 moose and keyboard solved the problem...

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Exactly.

You can run multiple keyboards and multiple moose, no problem at all.

If a few aren't detected... you're on Windows 10 :-)

*******

On Linux when the keyboard stops working, it's stuff like DBUS that died. You run an RS232 cable from the Linux box to the Windows box, and talk to the Linux box over RS232 until you fix it. I now have a cable permanently set up between machines, just for rescuing Linux.

No computer is immune from feckery.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

At the mains socket or on the PSU switch (if it has one), not just shutting it down?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m